Dragon Hates Calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone.
My Dragon is about a year old. I can't tell you exactly how old he is. He was originally a foster, but then I adopted him cause, well, he is awesome. I was told by my vet to cut back on his Crickets because that was all the people before me fed him and didn't gut load them with good stuff. He does get protein everyday, but not enough to fill him up on just that. The issue is that while he will eat the calcium dusted crickets he has spit them out before. He will also not eat any of his greens if there is even a hint of calcium on them. I have tried everything I can think of. I've been taken him out to get some sunlight because I heard that it helps, but I'm worried about him not wanting his calcium. Are there any hints? Or a different product that has calcium that he might eat. He also doesn't like fruit and I have him convinced that he is going to breath fire one day.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you are making planned salads (calcium rich greens and high calcium veggies) you shouldn't need to worry about dusting the salads, just the bugs.

Repashy sells a salad supplement (supper veggie) that has calcium in it that I use. It smells nicer than straight calcium so maybe more appealing.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I used to dust salads / greens and crickets when Puff and Rex were young, they both liked to the taste of the calcium powder and would like the calcium off the greens.

As Tat said, unnecessary on the greens and salad if you are dusting the bugs , and giving high calcium greens.

I found my lizards all like the taste of CalciVet (given orally by syringe) , is very sweet tasting , is good to have on hand in case you have a lizard who gets sick.

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon also hates calcium. I usually dust one side of a leaf, then I fold up the leaf with the calcium on the inside. Reptar usually has most of the leaf gone before he finally tastes the calcium. Sometimes I will mix the calcium into some squash purée to mask the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom