Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, that would be a good idea, then you can leave them in there all the time, they can't climb glass.

Awww, that's sweet that you can hold her at bedtime. You're getting there, she's getting familiar with you. :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This morning I put water in her bowl and brought the syringe to try and put droplets on her nose and she jumped from the hammock and ran to the edge of the water bowl to look at the syringe. Then she legged it but it was interesting she came to have a look. She is just nervous now so I leave her be for now and just take care of her and let her observe and realize we are here to love her.

I cannot get over how small she is!!! Maybe I will try and weigh her tonight (maybe LOL) I will redo my chart today as I forgot to fill in the things like dates that are the same etc.

picture coming up

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She's so funny with her ways, but she's getting used to you, I can tell. She sure is tiny for her age but she'll get going once she's acclimated to her new home. Hopefully she'll eat the nymphs out of the dish, may take a few days.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh really? I thought she would dive in........ Well I am about to do it and catching the nymphs is a pain in the a** give them a dusting of calcium as well.

Veg day today and I wanted to ask you about that at this age. A few different veg chopped up tiny right?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, chopped up tiny for sure.

What I meant is she might not eat them right away, but she might, they're difficult to figure out at that age.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
And now the drama is over I can get back to asking you about your crew and situation. Please excuse me asking about Tengu and Shiro all the time lately.

So, how is Eric doing? Kids all good and easier on you now, Eric is taking care of them? How is Gabriel? I guess the rest of the crew are doing fine.

How is your ankle and other things?

Wow catch up time right!! LOL

Shiro is perched on her hammock watching me as she knows it is food time.

OH MY

I was putting the nymphs in the glass bowl with calcium and she was going crazy watching it. I put the bowl in and she looked at it, climbed a piece of wood and jumped into it and ate all 10 of them instantly. Then jumped out the bowl and went to basking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a few seconds never mind a few days LOL :lol:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well chopped up some veg and she is looking at it but not a lot of interest which is fine for now. Tried to give her water and she legged it around the tank like Bolt. So I am dripping it into the bowl so she can see it. I am worrying about water as she wont let me get near her with syringe and bath is no way right now.

Going to take her a while to trust and relax, I can see it!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I don't mind you talking about Shiro, she's even younger than Imp when I got him and she's alot healthier than him, too, it's fun to hear about her adventures. As for the roaches, glad that worked, so now add more to each meal.

Everything here is going fine, slow in Eric's respect because he's dealing with is ex and kids on the weekend. He and Tara are seeming to be getting along alot better, which is good but the kids are acting about because they can't figure out why Daddy is gone for so long during the week. It will take a long time for them to understand as they're so young, so it's all going to just take time. But he'll soon not need to borrow from me anymore, so that will be a good thing.

Gabriel is getting rounder, which means the aneurysm is leaking even more. He goes to the vet next Saturday to determine how healthy he really is, if he's in pain (I give him the natural pain-killer, anti-inflammatory Serrepeptase daily) and if he should stay longer with me or be put to sleep. It's really hard to figure out but his right eye is all wonky, there's something extra growing in that eye, so time to get that looked at again, too.

Imp is much lazier than usual (he usually spends most of his day running back and forth, trying to beat out his reflection, you know, that other dragon :lol:

He lost weight again last week, 12g, which is significant as a friend pointed out. Especially in a young dragon when he should be gaining weight, so mid Sept he'll get an xray to see what his insides are really all about, plus a blood test to make sure there's no infection. Also I'm taking in a fecal sample this Sat am when I take Gabriel, see if Imp has parasites again, Also telling my vet that Imp is exceptionally pliable in the mid back, he's very long for his weight. He bends almost in 1/2 from his mid back when I hold him a certain way. The only other dragon that happened to was Rubio because, he also had a long body for his weight, 22" long with a tail nip and 840g in weight at his best weight, under that he really looked skinny. Here Rubio lives in a 75 gallon tank, and is playing with his imaginary friend. He used to race that reflection from one end of his tank to the other, all day, when he was young. Here he's about 2-3 years old.
11887-8953570579.jpg

And then there was Didi, my neon dragon:
11887-6725504165.jpg
I found him asleep one night on the rung of my old rocking chair.
11887-4831858622.jpg

All the dragons from 2008 are all gone now, Leo and Puff were rescued in 2010 and they all grew up together, he was 9 when he passed in Jan/16. And I have my 5 lovelies for which I'm grateful. It's as if every dragon that left, found another one to love. It's always been that way, I've always known where a dragon in need needed a home. I think I have thoughts sent to me from my dragons who have passed because within a month I've always found another one, for 10 years! Well that was my history for tonight :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll keep you updated with Gabriel and Imp.

I love hearing about every minute thing with Shiro, she's such a beauty and so funny in her mannerisms. She's just plain cute :D

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just a quick one as she just climed to the top of the fake greenery which takes her to the top of the tank (little escape artist) I had to open the tank up to get her down. Of course she opens her mouth at my hand. I keep my hand there when she does that and she closes it quicker now so getting better. Also with syringe she opens mouth only a little now and has a drop and seems to chill out and realize its water and has a couple of drops.

Is a few drops to 5 okay at the moment especially with her being so small. I am not sure if she is drinking from the bowl as shes so dam quick and sneaky!!!

She seems to be enjoying walking around and jumping everywhere that's for sure!!!

I am keeping my chart up to date with everything. My new vet will love that! A six months amount of chart showing everything per day. Little beast just ran up to basking spot again. When she is sleepy or asleep I will hold her again and stroke her a little. I think doing that will help her understand

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow

Now she's decided to sleep at the very top of the tank in the leaves. I want to get her down in case she falls but she looks so happy there and she let me touch her belly and chin :) so I don't want to poke the bear as such.

I can't believe how much they jump and how fast they are as babies!!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Just leave her in the leaves, that where my Issy always slept and she never fell down. They feel safe, as in the wild they live in bushes and hide behind the leaves to sleep. And I'm glad you're holding her and stroking her while asleep, that is helping as she's getting better with you every day.

Your vet is going to be so glad that you're keeping records from the beginning. I wouldn't worry about weight but is it possible to measure her at night when she's sleeping? I'd love to now how long she is.

Are you giving her more baby roaches 3x a day? That's what you should be doing now, leaving her dish with bugs in it all the time, to get hr to eat more. And whatever other bugs she likes, too.

Keep me posted, I love getting your updates.
\

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeh I left her there. She looked super comfy!! I'm thinking to bring the leaves a bit lower and away from the basking area in case she burns herself.

Yesterday I put baby roach 12 twice a day. She left 2 but it was first time with glass bowl. It will be fun to see what she does this morning!

Try again with the syringe as well. She's getting better that's for sure. Slowly but surely

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So amazing!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :blob5:

She let me stroke her chin this morning and I couldn't put the light on until I got her down. I put my hand there for a while and she was fine. I went to grab her and she came onto my hand :D I was so nervous and lowered my hand. She then sat there as I stroked her for ten minutes. I even weighed her and measured her. I then went to put her back and she wouldn't and rested on my thumb and looked very comfy :lol: I stroked for longer and tried to give her water and she opened her mouth and bit me :lol: :lol: :lol: doesn't like the syringe. Her little nip was very cute actually

weight: 6 gram!!!!!!
length: 13 1/2 cm

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, the worst thing about a break up is how tough it is on the kids. I am just glad I didn't have kids with my ex. Glad things are calming down though!

Poor Gabriel :( :( I now know the pain of losing a dragon and it sucks. I can imagine it is even worse when they have been around a lot longer :(

gotta love that "other dragon" LOL@Imp hope the weight loss is nothing to worry about.

How cute your other dragons were. You must of lost a lot over the years. I cannot blame you not getting another after Gabriel. I don't know how you deal with so many as it is :lol:

What is the average life of a dragon? I read many different things so I believe you are the best person to ask this.

Now Shiro is hiding at the back of the tank. I am sure she will come out later though. This morning she sat on her hammock as if to say "errr I am here, feed me here!"

I am still happy about this morning and being able to hold her and stroke her. Even if it was because she was sleepy she still go to understand I am not going to hurt her. Maybe this is why she is hiding now? I was really surprised at her being 6 gram though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom