gravid female wont dig..? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevKalkaros

I am a first time beardie owner and i believe my little girl is gravid. i made her several lay bins (and have tried lighting the area as well as keeping it dark) and she wont dig! all she does is tries to climb out before she settles down sun bathes or takes a nap!

i have never dealt with this before but i have been told she has all the symptoms of being pregnant even if she hasnt mated. and i know if this is the case she needs to get those eggs out.. but she has zero interest in the sand i got for her! what should I do?

she has been pooping every day which isnt normal for her
she glass surfs
wants to get out of her tank all the time, then i take her out and she wants to go back in
she looks very fat
(i dont know if i see any eggs when i lift up her tail and check her belly all the youtube videos i have seen the belly looks way lumpier)
its mid summer in her second year
a few months ago she met her first bearded dragon friend- so i am wondering if this triggered something?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How deep are your layboxes for her? Has her beard turned black recently at all?
They will lay infertile eggs, without having mated so it is very common.
How long has she been acting this way?
If she is still eating then it will still be awhile until she is ready to lay.
The laybox should have a mixed dirt (without fertilizer, etc) with either vermiculite or perlite until it is damp but not sopping wet so that she can make a burrow without it caving in on her.

Tracie

SevKalkaros

Original Poster
hi tracie!

the first lay bin was about 3 inches of moist sand i kept it in a box inside her tank. she liked it a lot but she never dug once.. she just sat on top.
the second one is about 2/3+ lbs of sand in a large bin outside of her tank.

shes been acting this way sense late may/early june. :/ its making me crazy if im in the room with her she is constantly trying to push her face though the glass or surfing trying to get out. if i open the front door of my apt to go outside she flips out wanting to come with me. the other day i left for work and she actually climbed out of her tank. its two feet tall! (she had help from a basil plant i put in there) i know she likes to go outside but its not usually this intense or obsessive.

she doesnt really go black when im around.. if she does once i pick her up she calms down pretty quick. but she is for sure more spunky/ alert and less cuddlie than normal.

she is still eating almost everything i give to her.

scorpius

If you think you dragon has fertile eggs then set up a decent lay box for her , if on the other hand she has never been with a male I do not believe it is necessary

My female has never been mated and when she needs to lay she glass dances and scratches around her tank them flips up the repti carpet and lays her eggs under the carpet

she does this several times a season every year and never had a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom