Feeding how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Ok so Fuzzy is 8 months old.
Reptile shop said feed greens in morning an live in afternoon. Is this ok?

Ive been feeding greens which he isnt interested in as of yet but has eaten apple grapes an cuecumber.
He has eaten bout 8 to 10 locusts this afternoon an i swear he would just carry on hunting em an eating em if i let him ? is that too many?
Bearing in mind hes a rankins.

Is it ok to just add the calcium to the locust tank? Im not sure its enough. Sorry bit paranoid that im doing this all right.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Peppa and Toothless (now 10 month old) have been on 2 live insect feeds per day each (big insect feed about lunchtime , smaller insect feed about diner time + greens and veg).

I think it's best have a larger insect feed early in the day with hatchlings and juveniles, and to hold off with greens and veg til later in the day, to make sure they get plenty of the insect protein and calcium they need to grow and thrive and have plenty of time to bask and metabolise / digest the insects during the day.

How big is he, and how big are the locuses ? (in grams).

I'd get hold of a small take away tube (the round ones with a lid that you get dipping sauces in from chinese takeaway places) and use that to dust the insects in, only need a light dusting on each insect so long as you are gutloading them with good quality (vitamin and calcium rich) foods - I use repcal adult beardie pellets (straight from the bottle) + buk choi greens + carrot chunks to feed and hydrate and gut load my crickets. I expect locuses will eat much the same stuff too.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ive been feeding the locusts with greens apple carrots an potato so far.
I brought medium 1s about 12 to 20 mm but they grow so quick. Im concerned some are too big to feed him now. He got 1 by accident yesterday but grabbed it an swallowed it down.

Id say Fuzzy is roughly 10inches long. I have been feeding at lunch time but im out all day today an wont be back till late ie 6ish. Shall i skip a feed today. He has squash an pepper plus rocket in his bowl this am but not really interested.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My schedule is :
lights on 6am

juveniles' feeds noon, 6pm (large insect feed in am, smaller insect feed in pm + I give greens and veg then, I leave the greens and veg in overnight, my juveniles will have some here and there and often nibble some in the morning before their big insect feed).

adult's feed noon

lights out 9pm.

When mine where hatchlings , they were on three feeds per day, the larger two feeds were about 10am and 2pm.

If locuses are anything like crickets, they grow faster if you feed them more and if kept warmer.
You could try reducing the food you give the locuses and keep a few degrees Celsius cooler maybe in order to slow their growth , and only give them a big gutloading 24-48 hr prior to using as live food.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karenxx67":3cxngcqi said:
Thank you so much for that.
So its ok to have lights on for 15 hours a day?

Yes.

This is much more like the natural daylight hours beardies experience in the wild in their natural range - I lived and worked in the Pilbara for a while and experienced the conditions first hand, and frequently saw beardies out and about in the early morning (up on high vantage points basking) and in the late afternoon foraging.

ALL mine have mid afternoon seistas , just like I do .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom