New beardie schedule (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 month old beardie will be here in about 2 weeks and I'd like some suggestions/tips on how I should handle lighting and feeding throughout the day. This might get long but here's a run down of how my day looks so far and specs of my tank .

Size : 36"X18"X24"
Substrate : Slate textured tile
Lighting : 1) 24" Reptisun 10.0 T8 in a under the cabinet fixture with the plastic cover off inside the tank back wall.
2)Exo terra intense basking spot bulb in a flukers dome with dimmer .
Temp : Cool side 77-80F
Basking spot 100-105F and 85-90F near it .

1)My work hours vary so I will have the lights on a timer. When do the lights absolutely have to be on ? I'd like to have the lights off for a couple hours in the afternoon /evening since the temp stays around 77F with no lights on if that's ok .
2) I will be feeding greens , crickets and superworms since that's what I have easy access to at the moment . How often should I include the calcium w/ D3 ?
3) Since my work hours vary I will be feeding in the morning and I can have my roommate feed before she leaves for work at 1:30pm.

There's some info , let me know what you think and how I should try and schedule everything around this info . Thanks .

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can pick whatever time you want for the lights to come on, just make sure they are on for 12 hours a day.
Usually you want them on for a hour before first feeding so she has time to warm up before breakfast.
Why do you want lights off in the afternoon? Is really not a good idea, it could mess with digestion and her sleep cycle.

Your feeding schedule sounds good but no superworms, they are way too big for a baby. Will you be able to feed her again in the evening when you get home?
Calcium 5 days a week, vit 2 days a week.

Minion3511

Original Poster
I was thinking of maybe turning off the basking for a while simply because I live in Arizona and it can get really hot those hours of the day and nobody would be home to take temps to see if it's getting too toasty .

I could feed again in the evening when I get home but sometimes it's 9pm others not until midnight . Would it be a good idea to feed late around 11pm? My roommate is always home by that time .

The calcium and vit have to be separate ? I had understood to buy the calcium that already has the vit D3.

Gail

BD.org Addict
General rule is last feeding no later then a hour before lights out so they have a bit of time to start digestion.
Yes, keep calcium and vit separate. With the UVB you are using, you won't need calcium with vitD, just get plain calcium.
I wanted to double check on the UVB position too, will it be shining out from the back or straight down from above? Its needs to come down from above.

Minion3511

Original Poster
The uvb is mounted inside with command hooks . It runs 24" of my 36" tank at an angle so it shines down .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom