Severely malnutritioned 5gram one year old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try to let him dictate what he needs to the extent that you can. 2-3 feedings is probably OK. It's good to stop when he loses interest. Maybe try every couple of hours and see if he wants to lick a little off his nose but don't be too pushy with it. It's a good sign that he had his head up and he's taking a bit of food.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't know anything about the Swell UK UVB either, but keep a close eye on his behavior in case the 10 emits improper UVB. He could keep his eyes closed, or become lethargic, etc from the bulb. Hopefully it will be alright & safe. I agree, if you can find the Arcadia D3 12% that would be a lot better. Definitely use a fixture with a reflector so it directs it more downward towards him.
That's great news he has been keeping his head up more & is taking in some food slowly.
Feeding two to three times daily is perfectly fine for him, he will take in what he wants but giving him the opportunity to eat is important. You are doing great, I hope he continues to improve.

Keep us posted on him. :D
Tracie

Mikhaela

Original Poster
Hi,

his body seems a lot lot fuller now than when i first found him but should i be expecting him to poo soon? i know that the having lights helps but would that be why he might not be pooping yet?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may take a while for his system to become regular. The lighting does have a direct impact on digestion as well. Give him some time with regular feeding and good heat/lighting and he will probably start going soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear you are seeing a little bit of progress with him already. That is great news! Is he becoming more active?
He will most definitely go to the bathroom soon with so much fluids, etc going into him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Mikhaela

Original Poster
He has had a lot of short bursts of energy since I added a light to his place. He walks around and his eyes are often open probably because he knows it's daytime? Still, feeding him has become slightly harder because he seems to have lost his appetite but I try to feed him especially water and Powerade. He loves to bask now and has enough energy to even try and escape out of his box lol
M
88128-6610369934.jpg

Oh and he's now more or less 6grams now. Weighed him yesterday.

88128-4615870426.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to see him doing a lot better. Is he getting ready to shed possibly? Many times they do lose their appetites when they are going to shed.
Is he eating any greens on his own right now?
How much water & Powerade are you giving now & how often is he going to the bathroom?
He looks pretty alert & that's great if he is basking more also!
We are all rooting for him & hope he continues to improve for you.

Tracie

Mikhaela

Original Poster
I have no clue if he's about to shed. I'm worried if I don't hydrate him or feed him he might go really hungry or something. I've given him plenty of opportunities to drink at least I've tried extra hard to give him some fluids today but he's not taking any of it. I spray him with water tho as an alternative but today he's moving pretty slow again and slightly weaker (but still more than when he had no light) compared to yesterday when I introduced the light the first time.

He fights a lot when I try prying his mouth open for fluids but I guess he's just not thirsty? I assume he should be if the light is on continuosly during the day... Feeding him baby food right now has just gone out the window. I haven't attempted to give him any today since I was at work. Should I be worried that he's not feeling to eat or drink for 2 days now? Still no signs of going to the toilet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can understand how frustrating this is, he is so small.
He wont take any baby food at all right now or fluids?
Is he keeping his eyes closed alot since you added the UVB light? I am wondering if there could be anything wrong with that particular light, but I am not familiar with them. There are a lot of bad UVB lights out there that emit low wavelength frequency & cause lethargy & other health issues.
Keep trying to get food & fluids into him.
What type of basking light are you using for him, a bright white light or a colored bulb?
If you think the UVB light may be harmful, turn it off for a day or so to see if he starts improving.
I think you should consider looking for the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb or the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for a higher quality of UVB.

Tracie

Mikhaela

Original Poster
The uvb basking bulb i ordered from arcadia is an all in one bulb (check the list in the previous posts). i bought that for now to see how it will work on him and its going to be delivered today. im using a regular lamp bulb during the day to give him some heat and a heater at night. he moves about when the light is on after a while its probably because hes just trying to heat up? ill see if he improves when his new light comes today.

Mikhaela

Original Poster
Still not going to the toilet! And still not wanting to eat or drink. It's hard to try give him the critical care formula or even to drink as he hesitates a lot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific, that will be a nice bulb then, hopefully he will love it.
Is he hanging in there today?
You aren't able to get him to eat yet? You have tried the baby food on his nose, to see if he will lick food off of the end of his nose but that isn't working?

Tracie

Mikhaela

Original Poster
Yeah it sometimes work but I feel like he hasn't eaten actual baby food or even the critical care formula in a while maybe a day or two. I though giving him a break will make him want to eat again but I've just given him baby food but through force feeding by pulling gently at the side of his lip. He likes the bulb he wakes up almost instantly after I turn it on but still no bathroom breaks :/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad that he likes the light then, hopefully he is more active.
That is the correct way to get food into him with a syringe like that. Did he seem to like it at all?
He should eventually go to the bathroom, but since he hasn't eaten very much, it may take awhile.
Try to get some extra oral fluids into him, to help out also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom