My Gonzo baby isn't doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'm sitting at the vet office in a room waiting. Gonzo is very quietly sitting on me. I haven't posted in a while as I was hoping he was brumating or something but he has two LARGE lumps in his belly. I don't think it's impaction. I've bathed him daily, tried olive oil, baby food mixture...he had diarrhea yesterday. I don't know why i'may posting or if this is the right spot.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
He's gone. My head is pounding. It was his kidneys - they were huge. He stopped being active and I knew. I told the vet that I thought it was his kidneys or liver but really hoped I was wrong. I hate being right. He didn't even fight her examining him which was a complete 180 from the last time he was in. He went from 440 grams to 390...his hips were starting to protrude. I'm going to focus on making sure Evee keeps improving and I know I gave him an amazing few months compared to what he had. Hard to believe that such a tiny creature can have such a huge impact after only a few months.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Before
87171-5410804618.jpg
crazy happy healthy boy

After
87171-4202070125.jpg
at the vets today. Lethargic, not eating, urate several times a day, syringe fed...no quality of life ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
The weight loss was really obvious. I picked up that he wasn't feeling great a month ago but I thought impaction or starting to brumate etc. I knew something wasn't right but I think I was in denial til thus week. I just thought I would have a lot more time with him ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. I'm sad to hear this. Kidney issues are rough. At least you gave him good care and a happy life. There really isn't much to have done other than try and make him comfortable.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
That's what the vet said. He would have died slowly and starved. I couldn't do that to him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry you lost Gonzo. :( Beardies just seem to be pretty fragile at times and they get hit with these terrible illnesses. My heart goes out to you , I know you must be devastated.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thank you. They wriggle into your heart so fast. When I was taking care of Evee tonight it was so hard because I always do both one after the other ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
At least he's not suffering now.... that's not much consolation to you , but you did your best for him and he'll have known you were trying to help him (animals DO KNOW).

Focus on giving Evee the best possible life now , she'll help you lots too with the grieving process and be a great distraction .... I see Evee getting LOTS and LOTS of snuggles and loving from you and she'll enjoy that and will reciprocate in her beardie way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom