Weight check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, just checking in for the health of my dragon (weight-wise).

She's now approx. 10 months old I'd say? (Got her on 2/9).

She just weighed in at 580 grams and 17.25". The weight does seem a bit high to me.

I've been feeding her 7ish adult dubias per day 5x a week, and greens greens (not touched if I feed her bugs). The other 2x a week is just greens.

Calcium 3x a week and multivits 1x at this point.

Thoughts on her weight? It does seem high. If it is high, what are some steps I can take to bring it down?

8V1rwXq.jpg

nHKfOaY.jpg

DeiYHrX.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's looking really good. Their weights vary quite a bit so it's hard to say if a specific number is good or bad. If her weight has been steady compared to her past weights, that's good. At her size and age I'd probably start pushing the veges more and start reducing bugs to every other day and then every third or fourth day gradually. Once she is on a vegetarian diet her weight should stabilize around her healthy range. I've read about dragons being healthy at 700+ grams. None of my guys have been over 500 grams but they've had health issues. It really can vary quite a bit so just watch her trends.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2rfysw0c said:
She's looking really good. Their weights vary quite a bit so it's hard to say if a specific number is good or bad. If her weight has been steady compared to her past weights, that's good. At her size and age I'd probably start pushing the veges more and start reducing bugs to every other day and then every third or fourth day gradually. Once she is on a vegetarian diet her weight should stabilize around her healthy range. I've read about dragons being healthy at 700+ grams. None of my guys have been over 500 grams but they've had health issues. It really can vary quite a bit so just watch her trends.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll go 50/50 bugs/veggies. Would I do 2x calcium and 1x multivits then?

Here's a growth chart from 2/9 to today

tYeQ3Na.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Excellent. Those charts are great. It shows her weight growing and length slowing so she's still got some growing to do but is slowing down so in my opinion it's a good time to start slowing down on the bugs a little and push the salads. As far as supplements go, I'd first follow the instructions on the bottle as they're all a bit different, but otherwise I'd do calcium 2x-4x more than the vitamins. That's just a rough guess based on what I do given non standard bug schedule. A balanced diet and nice variety will make up for miscalculations.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
She's a big solid and very happy and healthy looking teenager, Peppa and Toothless are both 10 months old and came in at 382g and 341g on their weekly weighin last Saturday.

I would say your girl will wind up in the higher quartile on the beardie weight distribution when she finally tapers off in the growth and becomes a fully developed adult, she may well be over 700g full grown.

No indication of her growth tapering off in the charts you posted (PS : I'd check those dates on the x axis , something wrong with these (obviously wrong).

Gail

BD.org Addict
She is a big girl. I would drop her bugs down to 3 times a week and only 4 or 5 instead of 7.
Your supplement schedule is fine for a adult.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1y0s69dw said:
She's a big solid and very happy and healthy looking teenager, Peppa and Toothless are both 10 months old and came in at 382g and 341g on their weekly weighin last Saturday.

I would say your girl will wind up in the higher quartile on the beardie weight distribution when she finally tapers off in the growth and becomes a fully developed adult, she may well be over 700g full grown.

No indication of her growth tapering off in the charts you posted (PS : I'd check those dates on the x axis , something wrong with these (obviously wrong).

Which part is messed up on the x? I have it set for the 9th of each month, but I don't necessarily measure on the 9th nor the same exact period between each measurement. Hence why there's some weird sharp curves and whatnot

Edit: so after more carefully reading the supplement bottles, I think I've been giving Rey supplements all wrong. I have zoomed calcium powder w/d3, and repcal herptivite vitamin powder. Up to this point I would dust the supplement I was using for that day on the bugs (wouldn't consider it a very 'light' dusting nor 'heavy'). I see that I'm supposed to mix the herptivite with calcium powder at a 1:1 ratio? Could someone enlighten me on proper dusting? I'm thinking mix calcium with vitamins once a week, then just calcium on one more day of the week so technically 2x calcium per week, and 1x vit

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toddzilla1108":2k8h2y0z said:
kingofnobbys":2k8h2y0z said:

Which part is messed up on the x? I have it set for the 9th of each month, but I don't necessarily measure on the 9th nor the same exact period between each measurement. Hence why there's some weird sharp curves and whatnot <<< ar ... I see, I interpreted as daily , forgot that many americans use a stange convention of m/d/yr rather than d/m/yr.

Edit: so after more carefully reading the supplement bottles, I think I've been giving Rey supplements all wrong. I have zoomed calcium powder w/d3, and repcal herptivite vitamin powder. Up to this point I would dust the supplement I was using for that day on the bugs (wouldn't consider it a very 'light' dusting nor 'heavy'). I see that I'm supposed to mix the herptivite with calcium powder at a 1:1 ratio? Could someone enlighten me on proper dusting? I'm thinking mix calcium with vitamins once a week, then just calcium on one more day of the week so technically 2x calcium per week, and 1x vit

Gail

BD.org Addict
It not recommended to mix calcium and vit, its too easy to overdose the vit and underdose the calcium. Best to leave them separate so you know exactly how much of each she is getting.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a beautiful girl, love her colors and pretty girl face. :) I agree with Gail that she is getting too heavy and to cut back just slightly on the insects and increase her activity if possible. Some beardies actually reach their full size at a year old, contrary to the info that they grow to 2 years. A few slower growing dragons may take nearer 2 years, but most don't. She may not grow much bigger [ lengthwise ] at all. Be very careful with supplements....many dragons are getting sick + dying suddenly with kidney issues , very likely from excess supplements. Dusting is safer if done only two -three times a week at the most [ 1-2 is fine for adults ], very lightly. Vitamins only 1-2 X and very lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom