Baby bearded dragon sleeping a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayne12

I recently bought my very first bearded dragon, she is still a baby. I put her in a 40 gallon take, and have a UV light and basking light. The temperature in her basking area is 110 degrees and one side of her take is cooler. I let her soak in baths to stay hydrated, if she dosent eat all day ill show her food and she eats a little. She is pooping and if she dosent poop for a couple days ill rub her belly and so on. I even turn off her lights at night, and let her bask in the sun for atleast 20mins a day in 90 degree weather, and she has greens available all day. Through all of this she seems a little lethargic, and not super active. I dont know if she is just adapting to her new enviroment, but im worried and would like to know if this is normal or not. Thanks so much :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She may still be a bit stressed out which is common. What are the temps on your cool side and how are you measuring them? It's important to have accurate temperature readings along with good UVB exposure. It sounds like you're off to a good start though. It may be helpful to pick up a timer for the lights so you can set a schedule and not have to worry about turning them off and on manually.

Slayne12

Original Poster
the other side of the tank is around 80 degrees, im not using a digital thermometer so i will buy one to get the exact temperature.

Slayne12

Original Poster
Thank you, just ordered that temperature gun. Should i be worried? or is this relatively normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's relatively normal. Once the temp gun arrives just double check and make sure you have a nice gradient going. What kind of UVB light are you using? How far is it above the basking area?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 23w is a coil or compact, correct? If so, I advise moving it closer to be useful. They tend to have an effective range at about 6-8'' or so. You can build the basking area higher to achieve this. Maybe add a branch or something like that. What are the dimensions of your tank?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. I would look into moving the basking area higher to within 15-20cm or pick up a T5 UVB tube about 22'' and mount that to the top. They can provide good UVB exposure at 30cm.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't agree at all that a sleepy baby is normal. Being stressed from a move will often cause them to go off food for a few days but they should still be awake and alert.
Can you explain what you mean by lethargic? Does she hide with closed eyes or partial closed eyes or is she wide eyed and awake but not moving much?

I would get a new UV as soon as possible, this is the one most commonly recommended. http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/zoo-med-zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-fluorescent-bulb.html

What are you currently using to take temps? I bet they are off and that is affecting her too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom