Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for that. It looks the same as using a syringe actually.

I noticed a dragon or two in that video backed off when water touched them. That's what Shiro does. Ow but she will understand it soon. Bath time in a few days and see how it goes. Reminds me of Tengu so much!!! LOL she HATED baths to begin with.

I cantgetnover how small Shiro is!!! TINY and very nosy and cute!

You will have to wait for pics as you know I don't use iphone :) LOL

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I do look forward to her/him being slightly bigger. Too small for me to handle with my big hands and her super sonic speed!!

Such a nosy lizard which is great of course. I will cut up an old t shirt with my smell for her. I keep saying her because of Tengu I guess. Hopefully be able to notice soon.

Feeding time again at lunch time.

Oh I read don't give calcium and d3 same day as vitamins is that right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually alternate but follow the directions on your supplements. Generally you'll want to offer calcium more often than multivitamin.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, sweetiepie gave me a great guide but I was wondering about calcium being a different day to vitamins. Ah actually now I think I'm sure she said that! Oops!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here is a question which I am sure will have different answers

I'm jumping the gun but I'm having an ongoing disagreement with the ball and chain about how much protein an adult beardie should have.

She says 10 a month. I disagree and say 2 -3 a day

So I know an adult beardie should have more salad than protein but such a small amount? Also some sites here are saying don't have to feed everyday.

So please advise if you have thoughts on this

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually feed my adult a handful of dubia roaches every 3-4 days or so and offer black soldier fly larvae and silk worms as treats in between. He gets salads every day. It works out to be around 80% vegetarian.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So for calcium I always gave daily, Monday to Friday, then vit/min Sat and Sun. That's to 1 year old, then after that 2-3x per week for calcium, vit/min once a week. One meal dusted daily.

As for bugs, adults still need protein. I give about 3-5 bugs every 2nd day, depending on their weight, maybe more between 1-2 but not more after 2 yrs old. But that's a good average. You can tell by your dragon if they need more bugs. And the ball and chain is wrong. Lack of protein can make them very sick. As proven when I put Leo on a strict diet and he got very sick from lack of protein, affected his blood vessels. So I've never done that again.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jlfn1pm said:
I usually feed my adult a handful of dubia roaches every 3-4 days or so and offer black soldier fly larvae and silk worms as treats in between. He gets salads every day. It works out to be around 80% vegetarian.

Interesting. Thank you for that :)

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I won't mention she's wrong lol

Yeh so agreed on 5 a week on same day with veg everyday.

I hate to think I was feeding Tengu too much but she wouldn't eat if she didn't want to so I guess not.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow she's nervous!!!!!

Put my hand in with dubia and she ran around jumping etc and then stood still with mouth open. I kept my hand on the tank floor until she closed her mouth and backed off slowly.

I think that tells her I'm not scared of her and I'm not a threat but I think it's going to take time.

I will take care of her but not intrude while she's getting used to her new home. Also she's so small I can't grab her anyway! The reptile shop told me she drank water from a bowl which is interesting.

I made a check box of everything she needs and details I need. I will fill it in daily and keep them in a file every month so when it's vet check he can see everything on a daily basis.

I hope she eats tomorrow without freaking out.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think it's time to put dubia in a bowl in her tank (glass bowl) so she can eat on her own. See what she does. and refill twice a day, see what she eats. This gives her control over her own food and when your hand is in the tank, it's to visit. Giving her water gently helps, too.

See how that works.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you :)

Last night when she was sleeping in the slide rail!!!!! So crazy I was able to hold her and very gently stroak her for a minute. I then put her back. That was nice, so the night time approach is good!

I will put dubia in a glass bowl this morning. Oh when lights go on shiuld I wait an hour for her to warm up before feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom