Appropriate lighting for a baby; first-time owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylark

I have a baby dragon (about 6-7 in long) in a 20 gallon tank with a temporary Reptisun 5.0 and a Zoo Med basking bulb combo; both ignorantly purchased online. I will be upgrading to a Reptisun 10.0 and possibly a new light fixture. I need guidance on which UVB light and fixture is the most appropriate for the size of the tank (30 x 13 x 13) and most beneficial for my beardie, who most likely has a UVB deficiency as he was without an actual UVB light for a few days.

I feel incredibly guilty for not doing enough research and consequentially putting my Beardie's health at risk. I don't want to make the same mistake twice so please take enclosure dimensions and dragon's size into consideration if you choose to answer these questions:

Would you advice I purchase a T5 HO or a T8 Reptisun? And in which size? My local reptile store has them in 12, 18, and 22 inches.

Should the UVB fixture be mounted inside the enclosure or placed above the protecting screen? Will I need a fixture that includes a reflector for whichever placement method is recommended?

Is there a specific basking bulb that is widely known as the best heat source, in the same way Reptisun 10.0 is accepted as the most effective UVB source?

Thank you to everyone who may be able to point me in the right direction, I appreciate it so very much! Also, if anyone has any generally useful tips (such as getting a skittish baby to trust you) that a first-time owner might want to know, it would be appreciated just as well.

Again, thanks in advance

Gail

BD.org Addict
I have used and like the reptisun 10 T8 since they came out on the market, I will only use other bulbs out of absolute necessity. The HO bulbs really are for large cages, I wouldn't use one in a 20 gallon. You do know that your dragon will quickly outgrow the 20 right? Minimum recommended size is a 40 gallon breeder, wide and shallow so it has more floor room to move around on.

I don't use a fancy UV bulb fixture, mine is a metal garage light fixture. I like it much better then most of the junky plastic reptile ones. Use whichever you like and your bulb fits. Your UV should cover at least 1/2 of the tank. I personally like it to cover as much of the cage as possible but I don't use a glass cage with screen so I don't need to worry about finding room to sit the lamps on top. I'd recommend mounting the light inside if you can figure out how, its nice to have it out of the way.

I use plain old household bulbs for heat. As long as it makes bright light and creates the proper temps, all is good. You may need to play around with a few different wattages to find the right ones. I generally use a 60 watt in summer and a 100 watt in winter. If its a especially cold winter, I may need to switch to a 100 watt floodlight, one of the heavy glass kinds but not a halogen, those get super hot.
For the heat lamp, any large metal dome with a ceramic base will work. I often get the ones designed for farm use at a hardware store, they are more heavy duty then reptile ones.
For your 20 gallon, start with a 60 watt. I find the "old watt" bulbs at dollar stores, I haven't figured out what kind of the newer power saver bulbs are equal in heat output.

Oh, checkout petmountain.com for the reptisun, its the best price that I've found.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's a very small tank so a T8 might be better, however I disagree that T5 are are for big enclosures only. One of the big benefits is they can be mounted further away - you can get the same UV output at twice or more the distance away. They can also be mounted outside a screen and can be further away.

This might help you pick a lamp that works best for your setup. You could probably set up a T5 either further away or off to one side enough and then you'd have it for when you upgrade. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Xylark

Original Poster
Thank you both for promt replies. I'm currently looking at at my options and the Sunblaster appears to be convinient, for the moment. I'm aware that young dragons grow rapidly when they're babies, I've seen my beardie grow about two inches just this month.

Taking growth spurs into account, when should I expect to have an enclosure upgrade? At what approximate size range will a home that's at least 40 gallons be required for my beardie?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Is your 20 gallon a long or a tall? If its a tall, I would replace it asap. If its a long, you could wait until dragon is 8-10 inches but thats really pushing it in my opinion.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
A quick rule of thumb for enclosures is that the short dimension should be at least as long as the dragon (2x as long at least IMO).
You could upgrade to a 40b any time.

I have a couple sun lasted fixtures, I like them a lot but they need to be suspended from a stand or the ceiling of the enclosure (if its tall enough), the reflector doesn't wrap far enough around the bulb to use as a stand. The reptisun hoods and lamps from lightyourteptiles.com don't need to be suspended.

Xylark

Original Poster
UPDATE: This morning I took a trip to the reptile store and purchased the 24" Reptisun 10.0 T8 along with a 30" Zoo Med hood fixture instead of a simple generic strip that could be mounted, which is what I had in mind. The hood is placed on the "far side" above the screen cover, running along the entire length of the enclosure.

Just 2-3 minutes after installation, Salamence climbed to the highest distant-safe point in his enclosure and basked for a while. He changed to his lighter vivid color almost immediately. The few dark lines sometimes present in his underside completely disappeared; he's now showing a beautiful solid beige color! I'm impressed (and sooo happy) with his reaction to this new UVB source!

Huge thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom