How would I find a new home for a dragon? *Home Found!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Firstly, I am not currently looking for a new home for him, but the dragon I would be looking for one for is Steve (from my ER thread). He is not mine, but the schools as I was just caring for him over summer break but school is getting very close again and I do not want to give him back as he almost died in their care and they will not give him the care he needs to survive and get well. He's not fully healed and healthy yet, though much better than when I got him. If I were to manage to keep him and not give him back, however, I just won't have the time (or money) to keep caring for him for all the months it may take for him to get well since I have school work that takes hours out of my day.

So, if I do somehow manage to keep Steve, does anyone know how to find him a new home? I don't know where to find one for a healthy dragon, let alone one who needs a lot of care, since he's being rehabilitated and still needs to be hand fed every day. I know things like craigslist could work, but I would want to find him a home with someone who knows beardies well and will have the time and money to care for him and can give him the forever home he deserves. I live in Connecticut if that helps.

Then just a few pictures of him so you guys can see how he's doing, since I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you guys who've posted on the ER thread see this!
image50.jpg

image51.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully he continues to recover well. You can post in the for free section on here. I would also search for reptile rescues in the area. You'll need to be careful about who you home him with though because they will need to have experience and resources to be able to care for him properly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Steve does look really good now, very happy!
Too bad you wont have time for him, but can anyone else in the family help out possibly?
We do have a "For Free" forum that you can post in, to try & rehome him if needed.
I do hope you are able to keep him because I feel it would just be a death sentence for him if he were to go back to the school.

Tracie

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I emailed a rescue to see if they would take him if I was able to keep him after researching rescues for hours. Apparently there's none nearby really. And the only ones that were I didn't like, as they thought sand was an alright substrate. I know it's controversial and some have no issues with it, but I wouldn't want to take the risk, especially since he's such a messy and uncoordinated eater.

I could try to care for him, and will if I get to keep him, but I don't think I could take half an hour or more out of my day to care for him during school, and none of my family is good with pets, especially not reptiles.

Hopefully they can take him.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I truly wish that I was closer, I would take him in, in a heartbeat but don't think he could survive the trip to Kentucky. My heart broke for this little guy (through your posts) and he needs a gooooood home to go to if you can't do it.
He needs to be spoiled for a change, And not sent back to a sure slow demise at that school. I hope someone on here can take him in, I know I would.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I hope someone on here can take him in, too. One of the rescues I emailed wouldn't be able to take him and the other hasn't responded. Does anyone know of rescues in New England?? There are hardly any it seems.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright thanks. I'll look into them too. I also posted in the free forum, so maybe someone on here can take him.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just wanted to say I have found him a home! He's going to the Rhode Island recuse Happy Herps Reptile Rescue. Both the rescue and the headmaster of my agriscience program have agreed to it! We're figuring it all out next week.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's great ! Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone, mostly [ hopefully ] for Steve. :) You've handled this all very well.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
That's so awesome. I think a lot of us have been following Steves story from the beginning and from my perspective this is a fantastic outcome.

You should be proud of yourself. You saved his life, noone else cared enough.

I've never met you and I"m incredibly proud of you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm proud of you too and I'm glad you were able to find him a good home to ensure he'll continue to have great care and recover =)

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you guys too! :) Without all your help I wouldn't have been able to do all I've done for him. I've learned a lot from all this, my own dragon even benefited from it all. It's sad I won't get to see him anymore after next week since I've been with him every day for the lasts couple of months, and I sadly won't get to know where he ends up when he's better and gets adopted, but the rescue seems great so I trust that they'll find him a good home where he can finally live a happy and healthy life and get the love he deserves. He's got 3 years to make up for! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated if anything else happens. Thank you for all the help and advice you've given me!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am so glad this story has finally got a happy ending. If you think about it everything had to line up in a certain order for him to find you to save him the way you did. If you hadn't followed your heart he would most likely have passed on by now. I want to personally thank you for taking this on you are truly an angel ( Steve's Angel ). I am also very proud of you. There are not many that would have gone the extra mile that you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom