My new beardie is sleeping for hours without moving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppetjedi12

Hi, I recently got a bearded dragon off craigslist , he is about 11 months, he was very active when he first got here but after he settled into his new 75 gallon tank, he ate two mealworms, put himself into the corner farthest from the lights and heat rock and went to sleep. He opens his eyes and shifts around a bit, but other than that, he's ignored the crickets I put in this morning and seems very lathergic. He did take a long soak yesterday before going to sleep and seemed to have a rather large bowl movement in his water. I'm still learning about these reptiles as he is my first one, can you tell me if it is normal for them to be sleepy and move very little after either having a large bowel moment or after moving to a new tank and home like maybe it's stresss related? I was also told it is common for baby dragons in their first year to sleep a lot. Would it be helpful to take him outside into the yard during the day to get some natural UV rays?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible he is just stressed or is just going through a sleepy phase, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing his history. What do you have in place for lighting? Lighting plays a crucial role in their overall health so it's important to get that all fine tuned and use high quality lighting. In the meantime, if he isn't stressed by handling I would definitely bring him outside for some sunlight. Natural sun is great for them and it's a good idea to take advantage of the good weather while we have it available.

Weird.....maybe impaction? I dont know but ive seen alot of impaction cases and yea. But NEVER EVER EVER FEED YOUR BEARDIE MEALWORMS they are badd for them

Gail

BD.org Addict
Mealworms aren't going to impact a 11 month old dragon.
Could be brumation but it could also be a illness. I really suggest a vet and take a poo sample so they can check for parasites.

Esha

The same thing is happening to me its probably just stress maybe check fir stress marks under his belly. Also NEVER feed your BD mealworms. If your beardie is atleast 16 inches i suggest super worms but dubia roaches are also really good they are the best feeders and work for all age beared dragons if you want to buy roaches i suggest you buy them from dubideli.com

Gail":fwg9b90w said:
Mealworms aren't going to impact a 11 month old dragon.
Could be brumation but it could also be a illness. I really suggest a vet and take a poo sample so they can check for parasites.
I still do not recommend it. Better safe than sorry.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
I agree with Gail, mealworms will not impact an 11 month old dragon. But regardless I don't suggest feeding them mealworms either as I feel there are much better choices out there.

Sounds like he might just be spooked and getting used to his new home. Just give him some time to adjust :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom