my bearded dragon is shivering and limping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpman96

I've had my baby bearded dragon for about 3 weeks now and was very active. Just yesterday night I took her out to clean her basking area and noticed that her head was shaking rapidly(almost like a vibrating motion). I also noticed that she would limp and it seems to be getting worse as if she's in pain and can't move well. I feed her crickets and mist her with water occasionally so she stays hydrated. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon isn't doing well.
Based on the symptoms & behavior, it is most likely going to be calcium related.
Can you run over your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB light, supplementation, temperatures, etc for us so that we can see if everything is set up properly?
If you have pictures, you can post those for us, also.
Is she eating very well right now?

Tracie

jumpman96

Original Poster
The uvb brand I'm using is a zilla slimline fixture; uses only fluorescent 15 watt T8 lamps. I don't give her any supplements because the associate told me they didn't really need it. Her basking temps are between 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. They absolutely need calcium and vitamins. 5x a week with calcium that has d3 and 2x a week for vitamins. Once you start dusting the feeders hopefully she'll improve. Also pet stores are known to give grossly poor information. You'll probably want to get a better uvb light. Reptisun 10.0 bulb tube. Is it. Is it nice where you live? You can take him outside and set him on your lap.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
I'm guessing you probably got the beardie from petsmart or petco. They definitely gave you very incorrect information and that's disappointing but not surprising to hear. Be sure to do your own research on these animals to ensure you're not missing anything else from your beardie's care.

As soon as you get a calcium supplement and dust her food with it he/she will begin improving. Make sure to take any chance you have to take him/her out into natural sunlight.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'd mix that calcium in with some baby food and feed it to her that way for a few days until her strength comes back. Maybe even do a slurry with greens and calcium.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Zilla UVB light you are using is just an ok bulb but not as strong as others. I would recommend getting either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube, for much better UVB exposure.
The calcium isn't able to be absorbed without the proper UVB exposure. Definitely increase the calcium intake & she should start to improve for you pretty soon.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

jumpman96

Original Poster
I saw her tail and chin begin to turn black this morning as well, I'm not sure she'll make it. I'm so scared for her :'(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the clear plastic removed from the slimline fixture? That will intercept UVB from the bulb. Otherwise it should sit about 6'' above the basking spot for best output. Try to keep her warm and well hydrated for now and try to get her stabilized first thing and then go from there.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondering if you had any updates for us as to how your dragon is doing now?
I hope he is getting better.

Tracie

jumpman96":8ckxi8x9 said:
I think her conditions were too severe, she wasn't able to make it...
Im so sorry about her. Oh my god I hate it when pet shops sell sick prts instead of msking them better. If you got the little fatty from the petshop. I am so sorry. Mine died on friday by a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom