Veggie and Greens help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
My Bearded dragon just turned a year old a few weeks ago. He's 419 grams, has had regular vet check ups and fecals and has a clean bill of health.

I have been having a hard time getting him to eat any greens or veggies.
When he was a baby he ate them, but the older he got the less he wanted them, I think mainly because I have spoiled him.

He will usually hold out for what he wants which sometimes can last with him not eating anything for up to 6 days, I couldnt handle letting him not eat any longer than that so I gave him what he wanted.

Anyways I have tried every veggie/green/fruit and he wants nothing to do with any of it.
In these past few weeks though when I have had him outside he has been eating the dandelion greens in our backyard. They are pesticide free and away from main roads ( we live in a sort of wooded area)
I would continue to let him do this but sometimes he will grab greens that arent dandelion greens, so im not sure if they are ok for him. I have tried picking the dandelion greens and letting him eat from a pile of them outside, but he doesnt want that. I've tried picking them and putting them in his tank, and he doesnt want that either. He only seems to want them when he can pick them himself.

Im stuck as to what toi do veggie wise for him since he seems to only want them if he can pick them.

any advice would be appreciated.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
They really can be such stubborn little guys/girls and really know how to get a reaction out of us humans. This is actually quite common. They get spoiled and know if they hold out long enough they will eventually get what they want (and they usually do cause who can resist giving in)
The good news is that they usually will not starve themselves. Sounds like your guy likes dandelions which is excellent one of the very best greens for them. There is nothing wrong with him picking them himself however if your worried about the other stuff you can pick those (as long as they are pesticide free as you've stated) and place them in his enclosure. Give him time to see if he comes around and if not than you can try putting a few worms (whatever he likes) in the dish with his greens. See if this can motivate him a little. Also gut loading the insects he eats with what you want him to actually eat will help pass a little bit of the nutrition on to him.
Don't give up, they are difficult but always come around in the end.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the advice.

That's good to know he won't starve himself because I do get worried sometimes, that's when the Butterworms come out and he eats those so fast lol.

I will keep trying with him everyday, especially with the dandelion's since I know now he likes them.
Persistence seems to be the key here lol.
So I will keep at it.

And I will gutload his horn worms with squash and collards for now, as the silkworms I give him can only eat the silkworm chow provided. And I'll try putting some worms in his salad as well like you suggested.

Smart little guys sure know how to train you into giving them what they want.

Thanks again for replying, you have helped ease my mind a bit lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom