New Beardie isn't pooping? *UPDATE* HE POOPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoStark

Hi there, I figure that maybe posting on here and just to make some more friends who like beardies would be a good idea. At least then I won't have to be scouring the internet for certain topics.

Anyways, my bearded dragon (Rhaegar) is about 4.5 months old, a little over 12 in. The first day (Sunday) he didn't eat much, maybe one dusted cricket. Yesterday, I figured to slowly ease him into his new home and to make sure he was hydrated he got a little bit of lettuce (not iceberg) just so that I knew he was getting some water into him. I tend to feed him his crickets around 1 or whenever I get off work. Within that 10 min span I was able to capture and give him 21 crickets. Today, he ate 24 crickets some dusted with calcium and vitamin supplements.

His terrarium information are as follows:
All Living Things UVB flourescent 50 microwats
100 Wat reptile basking bulb
100 Wat red nocturnal bulb (no longer using for night due to research that reptiles can see red)
100 Wat ceramic heating lamp (due to it getting cold here)
His basking area now is at 100-105F*
Ambient temp ~80
Current salad in terrarium: collard greens, some apple to help him poop (he ate one small cube), and a little papaya
40 gal tank

He is currently on paper towels until I can get some reptile carpet because sand sounds unappealing after hearing impaction stories.

*-I did some searching and put on both the basking light and the nocturnal light that my tank came with to give it that extra boost.

I do plan on giving him a warm bath tonight to see if that helps. I am sure he is just not pooping due to relocation stress. His food looks a little disturbed, but not much appears to have been eaten.

UPDATE: I ended up getting rid of the compact bulb. I know Reptisun is the way to go, but this is all I can afford atm since my parents were kind enough to get this as an early birthday gift, which I talked them into due to the health issues that come with the compact light.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, good to hear that you've made adjustments concerning his lighting. You'll find lots of helpful info here on the sidebar/care sheet. :) Can you post a few pics of him + his set up ? How is he doing tonight ? If the crickets were on the large side he may be slightly impacted. The cricks should be about 3/4" max for a 12" beardie....no longer than the width between his eyes. And if he wasn't used to getting that much food before, that could contribute as well. Give him a nice warm bath, if he still doesn't poo try some baby food squash with about 1/4 tsp. ] or a bit less ] of veg. oil . Unsweetened applesauce and raw honey will usually work as well.

MomoStark

Original Poster
I do have picturea of him, I am super new to this website and I am on mobile right now. But I will figure it out when I get home from work tomorrow!

He is quite energetic I did give him a bath and I massaged him a bit and felt no lumps. I do eyeball the crickets and his food and he is getting small crickets. I do have some squash on me. It just isn't baby food since I don't really have the time or the money right now to acquire that stuff. I have also read here that olive oil can help as well which I plan on giving him in the morning.

MomoStark

Original Poster
I have figured it out! Hooray! Today I was able to give him some squash, collard greens, and some lettuce since I know he will eat that and added a little bit of olive oil. He ate 30 crickets today within the 10 min time limit. Before the bath, I gave him some pureed apples that had a little bit of olive oil mixed in. He had a little bit of it.

I do apologize for the images being sideways.

So the fist image is him after his 30 min warm water bath:
88201-1850904655.jpg

Here is the terrarium:
88201-2777563604.jpg

Here is Rhaegar as soon as I got him home:
88201-893329350.jpg

I do plan on making an appointment tomorrow with the vet for Saturday if he still hasn't pooped by then considering he has had olive oil now. Let's hope for some poop tomorrow!

I have also contacted the breeder to see what she knows/remembers. God I hoped he pooped the day of or before or else that is really going to upset me.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you say that you are using a 100 watt basking bulb AND the 100 watt red light during the day? If so, that seems like quite a bit of wattage for a 40 gallon tank. Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? Does he bask directly under the lights?

Good that you got rid of the compact bulb.

MomoStark

Original Poster
Well I ended up realizing that my thermometer is ****ty and I won't be able to get a new one until my payday which is next week. Its just a adhesive thermometer. I turned off the other light since I found him gaping. So only the basking light has been on for the past two days.

I have also realized that I got a 20 gallon tank kit from zoo med :banghead: . Pretty much everything atm is stuff that I have kept with it.

This morning though

HE POOPED!

I do plan on getting a 40 gallon tank in a couple of months as well.

Hi all, im new to thr forum just got a baby beardie 3 days ago named reptar who has stopped eating and had diharrea. Shes in the zilla deluxe bearded dragon starter kit, which comes with 3 bulbs but im awaiting a mercury vapor bulb in the mail because i dont like that it has a coil flourescent though it claims to not have the harmful light frequency. Im not sure on temps cause some threads say cooler temps for babies so they dont dehydrate, others say warmer to promote growth, can someone clarify? Hot side is about 100 cool side 88 im using a zoomed digital thermometer the point and click kind. Day 1 reptar ate and hunted normally but not much, i hear babies can jave a huge appetite this wasnt that. Then day 2 i woke up and cleaned a solid stool but reptar wasnt catching crickets. That evening she had diharrea. I thought it was too hard to hunt in 20gal with crickets hiding in the log, but then i tried today to take her in a smaller tank for feeding to make it easy amd no dice. Today still not eating and her poop was a bit more solid but not much poop cause she stopped eating. Is this relocation stress? Cause shes a tiny baby, i have a pic next to marbles for reference but she has active energy, i couldnt get her to pose by the marbles she kept scurrying off... uhh also can anyone explain to me how i can post pictures to help? Shes like 5-6 grams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom