Sore eye, and a question about Critical Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchBunch

Hello, I think I should start with some backstory.
My brother got a bearded dragon, with an eye problem from a very young age, essentially he's lacked vision in his right eye since we've had him. The eye itself has always bulged slightly more than the other. We referred him to different vets, but they said that it was best to leave it alone if it wasnt causing him any problems.
He's a difficult beardie who requires hand feeding, and is often difficult in terms of refusing food for days at a time, and only drinks water through a syringe dropper.
Despite all this we have had him for nearly nine years.
My brother moved out five years ago and since then the role of care giving was left to me.

Today I noticed his bad eye was closed, the vet warned me that there was a risk of the eye perforating at some point, but I cant see any blood anywhere, so I doubt it's that?

Would it be advisable to treat it with saline eye drops? To see if it's just an irritation?

Also has anyone any experience using critical care with lizards? He is becoming less and less willing to eat lately, and I feel it might help keep his digestion healthy.

Hi, I might be of no help as I am new to caring for a bearded dragon myself. Could you give any information of his husbandry. What's the temps like? What substrate are you using? What food is being offered? what products are you using for light and heating? anything on the lines of that. My beardie too has an eye issue so I could offer the advise they gave to me if it will help? can you post pictures of beardies eye

MunchBunch

Original Poster
Hot section is around 40 degrees and the cold is about 25, he spends most of the day on the cooler side, but does move around as it pleases him (any hotter than this and we get him gasping on the cool side looking fairly uncomfortable.) He's kept on tiles. He's given locusts, and offered Bok choy, Butternut squash, Cabbage , Carrots, Celery, Bell Peppers and occasionally Broccoli. Out of that list he'll only really eat butternut squash and locusts.
He has a ceremic heat lamp, UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube.

He's asleep at the moment (it's after midnight here) so I cant get a picture of him!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He needs a bright white basking light. The uvb is not bright enough. The ceramic heat emiiter should only be for night. I'd try putting some raw unpasteurized honey on the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom