Time to euthanize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Bert doing now that he isn't getting the antibiotic now?
If his uric acid levels were elevated, then his kidneys may be having a hard time which is what they had suggested maybe gout, so an antibiotic would do more harm than good in that instance.
If there weren't able to find any infection perhaps there isn't any or much of one that needs to be treated.
I would give probiotics to help get the system back in order if the meds upset his tummy. It sounds like he isn't doing too badly though, overall other than wanting to be hand fed, etc.
Bobbing & being active are very positive signs too.

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,

The extreme black beard is definitely gone. I think it just took a few days to work its way out of his system. Amazing that it can take days like it did! I'm going to start keeping a detailed journal on his ins/outs and mood/behavior.

The vet said that the uric acid wasn't extremely high, neither were the WBCs. I just restarted the anti-inflammatory back up so we'll see how that goes. He still has no desire to eat on his own. I'm going to start the rept-aid tomorrow so he gets some balanced nutrition.

Thanks for the reminder on probiotics - I wasn't even thinking! I'll pick some up tomorrow as all of mine are expired!

Thanks for your help and positivity!

Lesley

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lesley,

That is wonderful his black beard is gone! :D
It can take several days for medications to move through their systems. Maybe the anti-inflammatory will help out.
That is good news the uric acid levels were low & so were the white blood cell counts, too.
I hope that he likes the Repti-aid & probiotics, too. Maybe his appetite will come back soon!

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I just ordered some Bene Bac and Serrapeptase from you.

The DR added another pain med - still no change - slight black beard still- seriously on a scale of 0-10 with 10 being so black it starts to spread towards their chest... he's at a 1 or 2

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi all,

Just want to post an update and ask for feedback on one 1 thing. I've been giving Bert the Serrapeptase from Tracie and also using essential oils on him. I was/am skeptical of essential oils. I was at a point of try this or we were out of options. They have seemed to help oddly enough..

Anyway, Bert still has a slight black beard so he's still in some discomfort. Today we went back to the vet. I thought he might be jaundice but vet said no. We talked about our options at this point. His recommendation after much discussion was to try steroids. He warned me that they can cause permanent damage in reptiles, that they don't respond to them like a dog/cat would. I told him how I didn't want to be unnecessarily prolonging Bert's life. So I think because of that he was more likely to recommend the steroids. I have to stop his anti-inflammatory med for 5 days before giving the new steroid. Do you think I also need to stop the serrapeptase?? (Tracie???) I'm leaning towards yes to be on the safe side.

So that's where we're at, a true last resort...who knows... maybe it will work...

Lesley

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd be asking the vet or a pharmacist maybe if the serrapeptase will interfere with the new treatment (drugs), if it does, then I'd stop the serrapeptase doses, if not, I'd continue with them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Bert doing now, still improving a little bit?
Did you decide to try the steroids?
The serrapeptase is a silkworm enzyme so you can definitely continue to give that as it has absolutely no side effects at all. Since it's not a medication it wont interfere with steroids, or any other medications, either.
Did he mention the name of the particular steroid he was considering?
So, his liver is doing ok also?

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":ohcaog1f said:
Hello,

How is Bert doing now, still improving a little bit?
Did you decide to try the steroids?
The serrapeptase is a silkworm enzyme so you can definitely continue to give that as it has absolutely no side effects at all. Since it's not a medication it wont interfere with steroids, or any other medications, either.
Did he mention the name of the particular steroid he was considering?
So, his liver is doing ok also?

Tracie

He is okay- pretty much the same lately, still the slight black beard. He's been lethargic since Tuesday. Yes we're going to try the steroid, it's called prednisolone. Yes all of his organs are functioning. We have done two sets of blood work.

Lesley

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lesley,☺

How is Bert doing today?
Prednisone is commonly administered so hopefully it will help him out!
That's good news his organs seem to be working well. Is he interested in food at all & getting enough fluids?

Let us know how his steroid therapy is coming along for him.

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
On Saturday Bert told me that it was time to let him go. Bert is gone and I keep looking in his tank forgetting that he's not there. It's been a hard, sad couple days. The vet just called to tell me his ashes are ready for me to pick up.

In the end we just couldn't figure out what was ailing him. I'm sorry my bubba.
45059-9334155111.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Oh no ! .... just read that Gonzo was gone :(

Now I read that Bert is gone too. :( :(

I really feel for you and I know exactly how you feel , having lost my lovely big boy Puff and the sweetest little lady ever Wriggles (the water skink) not so long ago. Big tough old retired engineer me shed plenty of tears over both these, it's all very natural when someone/yes pet lizards are someones too, pass away, to be heartbroken, they do have the knack of getting into our hearts and sharing lots of love with us.

No rush , but I really recommend putting Bert's home to good use ASAP by finding another lizard who needs a good home with a caring and loving family. Peppa and Toothless were fabulous helps to me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, what a sweet pic of him with his namesake. :( It sure is a gutwrenching experience to lose our precious little friends. My heart goes out to you. And I agree with King, it may be too soon but if the inclination comes, you will be a great owner to a new baby or adult again some day.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
? it's been a rough week for us owners. You did so much for Bert, I'm am so sorry that final choice had to be made. It's small comfort knowing that they are both longer suffering but it is something. {{{HUGS}}} ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry you lost Bert, bless him. :cry:
I am truly sorry for your loss, it is so rough to lose them. He will never be gone from your heart & in time it wont hurt so much.

We are all here for you if you need anything.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom