Parking lot Iguana, healing posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckabeb

My previous thread was in the Beardie ER section, but I don't want to spam the ER with posts about the Iguana, so I'll update here. Here's the link to the previous posts. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=226319

So I read about iguanas from about 11:30pm last night until 4:23am this morning when I decided I had to call it quits. I think I am about halfway done reading ONE website of information on them.

We put the log climb in the rubbermaid last night with the Igg and set it down on log. This morning it was on the "ground" of the container. I went to take it out to check on it... that's when I realized its front right leg is limp. The Igg is alive and moves (with strength!) the front and back left legs, but the ones on the right seem to be injured for sure. I very gently and slowly moved the front right leg a bit and the Igg didn't even respond to my touch on it. The back leg can move but I believe it decides not to move the leg or due to the wound it has a hard time moving it. Either way, we took the climb out of the rubbermaid because I don't think the Igg wanted to be on the ground last night, it probably slid down the side of the container and just stayed there. She now has two 1/2 logs to "climb on" if she feels insecure about being on the ground.

I've offered her some collard greens this morning but she doesn't seem to care. We also have a small water dish in there in case she can make her way to it and is thirsty. We have also been spraying her down consistently. I am worried about the temperature in the larger container though. :( It stays around 82 degrees and not much hotter because it is a larger enclosure than the 10 gallon and we are using the backup light that's not quite as warm.

Oh yeah, and Moira (my beardie) must have seen or can sense/smell the Iguana because she has been realllly restless in her tank today and very clingy to me when she's out. Either that or she's starting to feel better with those syringe babyfood feedings and it's just a coink-i-dink. :)

Anywho, we think the Iguana is a girl. We hope to get her to a vet this week sometime. She looks to be doing ok other than the injuries. I'll let y'all know more after work tonight.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
So she is doing a little better than Saturday night when we found her. Her color on her head is better and the swelling around her eye has gone down. The only real issue is that limp front leg. She doesn't move it and I think it is because she can't. Also the back leg has the wound behind it where the leg attaches to the tail and it does look open.

This Wednesday we will be taking her to a vet in Houston. She seemed pretty knowledgeable when I spoke to her over the phone and she even gave me her email to send her pictures so she could take a look at the injuries. Her name is Suzanne Scott.

Here's the link to my Iguana folder on my drive. The last few pictures were taken Monday night. The swelling looks so much better comparatively.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B94U62J9em1xRWtQbmdhZmU0RVU

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Alrighty, so one week and a half later and Ellie/Kaijou is shedding, eating, pooping, drinking occasionally, and making a right mess of her donated (temporary) 30 gallon tank. AHBD had recommended getting the Powersun MVB 100, so we went out and bought that along with a new clamp-lamp.

She is still wrapped up well and we just saw the vet yesterday (Monday) who did a small morning talk show with her and her xrays as the guest star for KFDM in Texas. They have not aired it yet, but when they do I will definitely post the link here. :D

Today when my husband and I came back home we found she had pooped in the tank and knocked the water bowl over, so her bandages were soaked. :( We don't see the vet again until next week, so now she's a bit stinky. We did our best to clean/sterilize her, the tank, and the bandages, but I have a feeling the smell won't go completely away until he changes them next week.

Her right eye is doing better in the sense that she can now open and close it, but the eyeball is a bit sunken in and when she opens the lids, the eyeball is red and dark colored. I don't think she will ever get her sight back in it, but at least it is healing well.

Anywho, I thought y'all might want an update. :) She's healing well according to the vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So now she's famous and stinky. :lol: Poor girl though, I hope she doesn't fair too badly with soggy bandages. Glad to hear that she's eating + moving about ! You're doing a great job with Ellie ! I'll look for the update. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she liking her new Powersun light?
Ellie is a great name, too! It sounds like she is doing so much better now & her bandages probably drive her crazy, too. :D
You are doing terrific with her, I am sure she is very grateful.

Tracie

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Drache613":2y5sp0ai said:
Hello,

How is she liking her new Powersun light?
Ellie is a great name, too! It sounds like she is doing so much better now & her bandages probably drive her crazy, too. :D
You are doing terrific with her, I am sure she is very grateful.

Tracie

Oh she actually perked up when we got the powersun. That's when she decided to start eating and pooping. :D

She does hate the bandages. She gets her back left foot stuck on left wrap often, so we put some tape around the bandage to make it a smoother surface.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
So, I don't know if this is allowed, but we made a GoFundMe for Ellie/Kaijou in hopes of paying for her upcoming vet bills and starting to save for her large tank. She has a hard time turning around in that little 30 gallon, so we're starting to look for her forever tank (until we get a backyard that actually has some "yard" to it)... and maaaannnn are those things expensive! :puke:
We even looked into custom made ones since they would be a better size for her, but they are even MORE expensive. Now we are just hoping we can get enough money to cover the costs of a custom made one, but made by a Contractor friend - when his business slows down closer to Christmas.

Anywho, here's the link for the donation site. If you know anyone that is into donating to random people on the internet or anyone that would share this with lots of others, please feel free to give them the link as well. :)
https://www.gofundme.com/2kkhj3zf

And thank you all for your donations of information that helped us with her immediate injuries when we first "acquired" her. She also appreciates the help even though she's a bit too moody to say so right now.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Hey all. Just a quick update as I'm headed out the door...

We took Kaiju to the vet for her 2nd set of xrays yesterday. He said she has no more little rocks in her belly, so she must have pooped them all out. :D He also mentioned he was getting really hopeful that she was going to heal faster than he originally anticipated, but from these xrays she is still at least another 2 months out before he can take all the wraps off. She currently has 3 wrapped legs and one freed one (left front leg). The fractures are making a calcium wrap around themselves, but they're just not filled in yet and the vet is nervous about taking the wraps off too early and her movement end up breaking the calcium that is forming around the breaks which could prevent her from healing at all without surgery.

So to sum it all up, she's doing well. This is just going to be a long waiting game until she's healed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom