Weird behavior (I am a noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonedaddy

So I posted this in another thread I started about my enclosure, but was hoping to get more exposure here.

First some info:
I am a new beardie owner, I have raised iguanas in the past, but never a beardie.

Beardie Info:
NAME: Dax
Sex: Unknown
Age: Unknown - I got him 5 months ago, he was about 4 inches total when I bought him
Size: His is about 13 inches total now.

Enclosure Information:
Custom enclosure - Wood, plexiglass and glass sliding doors in front. Pictures at bottom.
Size: 6 foot x 2 foot x 27 inches approx
Temps: 109F in basking spot - 92F ambient on basking side - 85F ambient on cool side
Lights: 100W Zoo Med basking spot - Zee Med T5HO UVB 10.0 48 inch - Ceramic heat emitter 250W
Substrate: natural stone tile with sandless grout
Background: Blue PVC board

Usual diet:
Green (usually collard) mixed with small amounts of different stuff each day (carrots, basil, grapes, etc)
Phoenix worms daily, crickets daily, superworms occasionally
Calcium supplement every day, vitamin supplement once or twice a week.

Ok, I hope that is enough information.

He has been in his new enclosure for a couple days, but this started in his old "starter kit".

Lately he just stays on the bottom of the cage. No basking or climbing and very little moving. He is awake and alert. he will move his head and look around, and notice you approach. his head is not laying on the ground like at night when he sleeps.

He will not eat crickets anymore, and wont touch his greens. If I offer phoenix worms, he will eat a couple, but it seems like he is relunctant. Superworms he will eat isntantly soon as he notices them.

I do not want to keep feeding him superworms since I hear they cause problems, but that is all he will eat so I been giving him a couple a day to sustain him.

BTW, he is pooping every other day or every three days.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. If you need further information I will be more than happy to give it. I am very anxious and want him to have a happy and healthy life. I spent about 1800 dollars on his new enclosure and decorations, that should prove my devotion. Please help.

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....Dax doesn't realize what a palace he's living in . :) How long has he been in now ? Any chance that you used something that is producing fumes ? Part of it could be relocation stress from the move. Whereas some dragons go to the other extreme + glass surf constantly, some behave like Dak. How are you taking the temps ? One thing you want to be sure of is that it's not too hot. It may be too hot, most beardies rarely bask above 105, and I think 80 is best for the cool side. As for being spoiled on one food item, that's a problem that many owners including myself go through, you just have to find a balance with some tough love while still making sure a growing dragon is still getting protein every day. Hydration is important, too....how does he drink ? These are all possibilities as well as checking for parasites if he continues to act so sluggish. If it IS just relocation stress he'll get over it of course....hopefully just that.

vonedaddy

Original Poster
AHBD":1jpcdcrc said:
Hi there.....Dax doesn't realize what a palace he's living in . :) How long has he been in now ? Any chance that you used something that is producing fumes ? Part of it could be relocation stress from the move. Whereas some dragons go to the other extreme + glass surf constantly, some behave like Dak. How are you taking the temps ? One thing you want to be sure of is that it's not too hot. It may be too hot, most beardies rarely bask above 105, and I think 80 is best for the cool side. As for being spoiled on one food item, that's a problem that many owners including myself go through, you just have to find a balance with some tough love while still making sure a growing dragon is still getting protein every day. Hydration is important, too....how does he drink ? These are all possibilities as well as checking for parasites if he continues to act so sluggish. If it IS just relocation stress he'll get over it of course....hopefully just that.

He has been in the enclosure for about 3 days. I did not use anything that produces fumes. I let the stain dry for over 2 weeks on the outside of the enclosure and purposely did not use stain or oil based products on the inside.

I am taking temp readings with a few things. I have two stick on thermometers on the back hot side reads just under 100, cool side reads just under 84. I also have a infrared temp gun, and a syderrobotics thermostat on the heat emitter set to 85 during the day and 70 at night.

he doesnt drink at all, I have been using an eye dropper to get some water in him for the last few days, but that seems like an uphill battle. He doesnt want to open up, he will just let the drop sit on his chin.

Do you think I should lower the temp on the cool side to 80?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Wow .... it's wonderful .... can you help me build my three bay beardie apartment block ? (J/K).

I wish I had the skills to do such wonderful handywork.

Only adjustments I would make are :
---- basking spot temp a tad high IMO , I'd aim for about 40oC.
>> http://reptilerescuewa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Guide_to_Creating_a_Heat_Gradient.pdf
---- I see all the vent holes are high up, I'd close off 1/2 of them and install some low level vent holes so cool air will be drawn in at one end and hot stale air vented high up near the other end.
a vent low in the cool zone and another high in the warm zone convection will promote the flow of air through the enclosure.
---- I'd add some rustic bush stones (if they have lovely weathered appearance all the better, sandstone or slate would be pick rather than igneous rocks, these will give a great opportunity to climb and ware down those nails).

vonedaddy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":8v0lxowg said:
Wow .... it's wonderful .... can you help me build my three bay beardie apartment block ? (J/K).

I wish I had the skills to do such wonderful handywork.

Only adjustments I would make are :
---- basking spot temp a tad high IMO , I'd aim for about 40oC.
>> http://reptilerescuewa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Guide_to_Creating_a_Heat_Gradient.pdf
---- I see all the vent holes are high up, I'd close off 1/2 of them and install some low level vent holes so cool air will be drawn in at one end and hot stale air vented high up near the other end.
a vent low in the cool zone and another high in the warm zone convection will promote the flow of air through the enclosure.
---- I'd add some rustic bush stones (if they have lovely weathered appearance all the better, sandstone or slate would be pick rather than igneous rocks, these will give a great opportunity to climb and ware down those nails).

I dont mean to sound rude or unappreciative, but will these things help with his weird behavior?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great looking home for Dax. :D
At his age, around 5-6 months, it is a slight possibility he is slowing down some, but not really brumating. They can brumate at 6 months though. Is 13 inches his complete length from snout to tip of tail?
Also, around that age, they do go through periods of time where they tend to change their eating preferences for some reason. Most just want a little bit of change & will go back to some of their favorite foods again.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom