Any recommendations for beardie harnesess

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Looking at getting a harness bc I really want Carlos to be getting more exercise and real sun, so I was wondering if any one has any reccomendations. Preferably the safest option and most comfortable. im a bit worried though bc what happ me if he tried to dart off and the harness restricts him, would he break bones, choke, etc? Keeping in mind he's a dwarf he's only 19 cm long is that too small for a harness? Thanks :mrgreen: ps he can be quite flighty

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like hip harnesses because they tend to be less restrictive and bothersome. They are easy to make with some parachute cord and a push button cord stopper.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I had seen those but was worried about how it would work with Evee due to her size and hips. The shoulder one looked like it would be more secure on her and less chance of issues....but I haven't actually received it yet...I was hoping to get it before we went on vacation but it didn't come yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really depends on the dragon. The chest harnesses work better for some dragons than others. I had a hard time getting those onto Coop because he wouldn't allow his arms to go through the holes without a fight and was grumpy afterward. The hip harness fits along the tail and over the back legs which I've found to be easier in most cases but that's just in my limited sample size.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
That makes sense. I could see the hip one working with Gonzo better. Evee is so laid back she won't care lol

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So to clarify which style would be better for a beardie who is likely to do an unexpected bolt? The hip or chest, also could u send me a picture of the cord stopper harness on the hip, and one more question could someone give me a general idea of how tight it should be on my lizard :mrgreen: thank you for all the replies they help so much

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I use a hip harness with pepper, it's on an elastic lead so if he bolts he won't get a sudden shock to his hips/spine. It's super easy to put in him (slip it under his belly and fasten it) and doesn't seem as restrictive and doesn't push on his aides/spines like a shoulder harness would.

Khaleesii

A couple years back I was searching for one too because my guy will bolt off sometimes when he sees a bug or a bird and I was afraid I might lose him. I make these and sell them on Etsy if your interested. He seems very comfy in them and I believe this type of harness is safer then the plain cording ones as they are more likely to choke with those. Heres a pic of one (they are all made of leather)

And heres a link to the Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/LizardLovers?ref=hdr_shop_menu

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I made a hip harness for mine. I was seriouslying contemplating one from Khaleesiis ets shop but I couldn't wait for it to ship from the states. Summer in my part of Canada is short and we camp a lot.

I ended up making this...
86279-8710465915.jpg

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
I also use a hip harness. Reptar kept wiggling his way out of his shoulder harness and I don't think he enjoyed putting it on either. I switched him to a hip harness instead and it works much better. They way a bearded dragon's hind legs are positioned makes it harder for them to slip out of a hip harness. I can even leave it a little loose on his body without the worry of it falling off. Also, Reptar seems to like it better because it is less restricting and he is free to move around like normal.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for all the replies its helpful, for some reason i thought it would be easier for them to slip out of a hip harness because when they bask there legs spread out straight, any way ill try one on him but ive been struggling to find elastic string thin enough for his legs, anyone know where i can get some of the materials? thanks :D :mrgreen:

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
An update! made a home made harness with elastic cord and a cord stopper,it fit perfectly which was great but maybe the string was slightly to big, or the cord stopper might have been to big, because after five minutes of sitting still taking everything in he, went for a wonder and i noticed he struggled to walk with it on and he seemed waddle and drag his back legs, then he kind of freaked out and wiggled like crazy to get it off. any suggestions really need help i want it to work. thanks! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom