Tengu's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So, now my BD is 16 months old and she is at 42cm long and 355g. We believe she is fully grown and would like some advice on feeding.

Currently she gets fresh salad every day and 20 L size crickets once a day. Should we now start decreasing the amount of crickets? She LOVES them of course and salad is like a "Do I have to eat it?"

So any advice at the age she is at etc?

Thank you in advance

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh the image of Tengu slipping and sliding with a grin on her face made me laugh. Such a cute dragon you have :D

Gabriel isn't going to get better it's like he has a time bomb in his chest. I can feel it's getting thicker so even though I'm giving him the tumeric, it's like a cork for a flood. I noticed that his eyes are now black where they should be white, so he's to the vet next Saturday am, she can't do anything but maybe there's some eye drop she can put in his eyes. I'm giving him serrepeptase as well, it's a natural anti-inflammatory and pain killer even though he doesn't seem to be in any pain. I had him on my knee when Castiel was out and he really wanted to fight him, kept trying to jump off my knee. It was good to see him with that much energy.

The rest are doing fine, well Imp is back on the mix as he won't eat any worms or crickets and I don't have any other kind of worm around here. The dubia are starting to grow & lots and lots of babies, so he'll have those to eat in a few months, but meanwhile, he's losing weight. He's 10 mo old now and it's not good that he's losing weight. So mix every day and force feed worms twice a week. And hopefully the dubia grow fast!

Nathaniel, believe it or not, is brumating now, fully, he's been asleep since Monday. I got him up on Wednesday for a bath & poop and I'll get him up tomorrow to make sure his digestive system is empty. That's really important for brumating beardies. I never got a fecal done on him, but I think he's ok. Maybe I'll get him up Friday am instead and get a sample to take to the vet on Saturday, I'll see if he'll co-operate. I wasn't expecting him to sleep this early, last year it was mid August. Oh well, one less beardie to fuss with in the am before work. I already miss my brat :lol:

I also got my computer cleaned up and fixed for $63 (not sure what that is in your currency, but it's a good price in mind :mrgreen: ) He said the Norton security my provider was giving me was sub par so I'll order my own and get that tightened up. He said there were multiple infections. And he gave me recovery discs in case Windows 7 crashes, I can recover it. He was really good!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Currently at the zoo taking shots but before I reply to you properly I wanted to say Norton is F&@¥(&@ sh@@!!!!

It is the cause of lost problems! The best and I really mean the best is bitdefender! I've had it three years straight now and never any issues. It's is hnetly the best out there. You should check it out. It does so much

Gabriel :,( Imp, brat! Reminds me of Tengu a lot actually! Oh she is just the queen now. It's quite ridiculous actually!

I checked my adults only roach den and loads of tiny babies running around! LOL quick question. I gather adults don't eat as much as young ones? The main den I am replacing 5 jellies every two days!!! Adults only den 3 once a week of not longer

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree about Norton. It was top notch 20 years ago but not the case anymore. I usually have Avast as a primary antivirus (Bitdefender is also a good option) and set DNS to the openDNS servers which helps with most of the crud. https://use.opendns.com

$63 is quite fair for a thorough system cleanup.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks, I thought so, too. Well I got 2 years of Norton, so we'll see how it goes. Comes with tech support so hopefully that's all I need. I just have the one laptop, no other devices. So if there are any issues, I can cancel at any time and I'll refer back to here to get bitdefender.

So Tengu is now Queen? Glad she's figured it out LOL. And I found roaches, having 100 delivered (I live in Canada it's all done underground as illegal to sell up here) and then another 200 in 2 weeks. So Imp will have his roaches. Meanwhile I moved all the adults from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon and will leave them alone to breed more and more, so when the 300 are gone, there will be another tank full and I'll have roaches in perpetuity again, as before Imp.

Otherwise, nice quiet weekend, I'm on my way to my friend Joanne's to clean out the bug bin, I'm the bug lady in our circle, willing to clean out any bug bins needed :lol: When I retire maybe I can make a bit of extra cleaning out bug bins :mrgreen:

I swear Imp gets more colourful after every bath, so here's the latest colours and Imp on the ramp, having conquered Ella :mrgreen:
11887-7774838060.jpg
11887-6768159144.jpg
11887-7279155915.jpg

And Gabriel decided to do a little jig in front of his basking platform, sorry I cut off part of his snout :D
11887-2230406008.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Underground roach dealings :lol: :lol: :lol: I nearly spat out some coffee. I can understand the need for breeding!

Lucky girl here just clicks her claws and 300 roach on the door! I am glad I have lots of tiny babies!!

WOW the colours on Imp!!!! And how funny she is bigger than Ellie now! I remember when Tengu was smaller than her basking rock and now she spreads herself on it like butter on toast!

Questions: :lol:

Babies stay in the same den with adults?

They say dubia love orange, but is that safe for Tengu because ultimately she will eat them.

Awwwwwwwwwwww I just called her name and she looked at me :) :) I love the way I hold her by the tap and she licks the dripping water so gently. It is soooooooooo cute!!! First time she was like "errrrrrrr" but now she just chills and licks away :)

Glad PC is cleaned out. They can be funny things. I had three laptops and all died eventually. My workflow is intense with photography so I have to have a desktop. The laptops weren't cutting it but the first thing I did to every one of them was get Norton and McAfee out! LOL

Time to give the Queen a bath.She wont like it though, she is currently spread out under her outside lamp. It does make me laugh how her legs are all back :lol: :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh my, you're having so much fun together. This is the wonderful side of owning a dragon, nothing to do with anything but love, or so I call it. When an animal depends on you but also has fun with you, that is the ultimate. There is nothing better (will I guess your wife would be better :mrgreen: )

So my son has broken up with his wife and he's moved in for me for awhile. He'll sleep somewhere in the living room. He's out at 6a or so, I'm not even awake yet, he's independent, so makes his own supper and lunch (which is good because I don't have the time or energy to start either!)

We've talked alot because he's finally realized that he has a helper complex just like his mom and it's become toxic for he and his wife to live together, she is a complete control freak, has mental issues and can't stop causing fights. His son is now afraid of him because of her; she's caused him to be late for work or called him home for no reason (her mom is disabled and can come over instead) and just mental anguish, which in Eric's world means he's gets very angry, very quickly, because he can't control his temper when it's played with.

So he's fine with me, he's come back as Eric but older with alot of issues to fix up. He's not going back to her (at least he says so, but sometimes toxic sticks, I put up with it for 24 years with Roger). It's a day at a time and I'm not even sure how long he's allowed to stay because I live in a condominium/townhouse complex and it's dictated by strata bylaws, with visitors I mean). Anyway I left a message with my building manager to find out how I proceed to see if he can stay at least a month. We're getting along, no anger on his part because I know how to difuse anger. Plus we're actually talking with each other, not to each other. So I'll see how long I can help him. He is still paying for the 3 storey townhouse they rented last fall, car pmt, car ins, utlities and food/stuff for the kids and Tara. Then he sees how much there is left to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, so the 2 kids can have their own bedroom where Eric lives, as he'll have them as often as possible. So it's all up in the air, but at least I had food in the house for his lunch tomorrow and he's off getting foodstuffs for him for lunches and suppers this week. I have 3 boxes of cereal, so he's good there.

Wow, what a day, I got back from visiting Joanne at 3p and Eric called just a few minutes later and came over at 4p! He met Imp, who was out on the ramp (where else? :lol: ), he's always the last out.

I'll have to remember to tell Eric that Imp is out all day, so when he gets home to not worry, I'll put him to bed when I get home. So many things to think about when there are two of you. It's nice to be a Mom again...I've missed being a mom :D We'll hope the good stuff continues and he finds help for his anger issues.

I'm actually glad it's over because she was always glad to get him going & haveing him lose his temper. They're just toxic together.

So that's the big news.

The kids are fine, Imp is now 406g from eating the mix for a week, he ate tons of it today and I"m find with him on it until I get the roaches in. I went out with Eric, forgetting about the roaches being delivered, plus she didn't give me a time or # to contact her, so was out when she came to deliver, so she'll come out next weekend.

So Imp will get his roaches next week. I don't mind feeding him mix every day.

Gabriel is still doing fine, he sleep as soon as he's in his tank, though, so I put him on a blanket where he will stay awake in his tank, at least a bit longer.

Nathaniel is still asleep, he had a bath this am, stayed up until he was dry, then back he went. His light is off and his hide is covered.

Castiel is also in his hide, so I'll see if he shows up, he owes me a poop before he sleeps anyway and he's spent alot of nights lately in his hide (it's very hot outside).

And Cierra, I"m hoping, is not carrying any more eggs, I'm hoping she's done with that for the year. She's 496g which is a good weight for her, even though she finds it difficult to fit into her hide. But she's not getting a bigger one, she would fit if she thought about it. LOL She's only 46g higher in weight than last year when she brumated in August :roll: :lol: They're so spoiled & love to be spoiled. Their best personality comes out when they don't have to worry about survival but can enjoy life :love5:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

So sorry for my late reply. Dam I have no time lately :(

Srry to hear about your son, but I guess it is a good thing and it sounds very familiar to my first wife. She was like that and it led to our divorce. Looking back it was just self destruct so I can totally understand and glad he got out. Lets hope he does not go back! It is so easy to choose that option

I bet it is nice being a mom again! I had to laugh thinking of the crew watching Eric as if to say "errrrrr this is our room" :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear the crew are all good. princess here is starting to not eat :( sleeping early or napping so I guess it is sort of brumation but not if you know what I mean. It is like she is making up her mind. Right now she is basking with eyes closed. It is so weird how they just stop eating!! She is a big girl so I know she will be fine. i should take her to the vet for a check before Autumn/winter starts. I made that mistake last year. She loves sitting in the sun with me but it is too hot. £5 degrees today which was evil, pure evil.

ergh go to get washing in before a storm comes!

Hope all is going well with Eric

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Eric's been home for 6 days and it's going very well. He's a bit less stressed and doesn't feel the rage he felt with Tara. He did go over every night this week but told Tara that he can't afford the extra gas, so only on weekends. He has no $ until he gets paid on the 15th, so we'll look at repayment (luckily I have my VISA) for the food he's been buying and gas. He was so skinny when he got here on Sunday, I just told him to eat and keep eating as long as he prepared his meals himself. I will not cook for him, ever. I do pick up after him sometimes, but that's because he's really tired right now. He's not getting away with that anymore. (only happened once, last night). I want to make sure he's aware that I'm not his maid, ever. He tends to like to be waited on and cooked for, because that's what Tara did when they first got together. Don't know where he gets these antiquated ideas from, but I'll be disabusing him of them this weekend.

Gabriel is still hanging in, even though he's gaining weight and the whites of his eyes are now black. His walk is also wonky, so I don't have him walk alot. The eneurysm is getting bigger and I think leaking to other parts of his body but still keeping itself together. I'll keep you posted on what my vet says.

Nathaniel has already been asleep for 2 weeks in his hide. No light on in his tank either, that's what I do. I give my dragons a long bath every Sunday, just to hydrate them a bit more. He'll probably sleep until Oct, like last year.

I think Cierra wants to sleep, too, so won't be surprised when she starts brumation, too, Last year she was asleep from Aug to Feb! I finally woke her up and plugged the hide opening. That woke her up in a hurry. It's not something I normally do, but 6 mo was way long enough.

So it's been an interesting week and I'm sorry to hear that you went through the same thing that Eric is going through. At least you had no kids, Leo, Eric's 3 yr old, doesn't understand why Daddy is staying home at night. Hard to explain to a kid his age. So he acts out and hits Tara, guess he blames her because she's there. His daughter pouts when she sees he's starting to leave. Oh well, he'll have lots of time with them this weekend.

Talk to you soon, special snuggles to Princess, yes wouldn't be surprised if she's alseep with the month...let me know when she is and I'll tell you what to do and not do. Getting a fecal while you can for the vet is a good idea.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
While I have a minute, yes please do give me advise. I really am lost with it.

Heat Lights and uv on or off or...?? Bath how many times etc etc etc

So confusing but she is sleeping now.

The lights are confusing. Doesn't she need the uv while sleeping???

Sorry for all questions. I just want to take care of her the best I can.

I will reply later on for the rest of the mail :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They don't need anything while sleeping. If it's true brumation, there is a hormone, I think, that helps them stay healthy while asleep. So lights out and covered until she shows herself again. Their system slows down so much that eating isn't necessary. When Nathaniel went down (so early!) I got him up 2 days later to poop, as he'd just eaten worms a couple of days before. Once he did that and dried off well, he was allowed to go back to sleep.

There's a really good article above, it was written by a dear friend about her 3 dragons. It's full of very interesting information. Just know that every beardie is different on how they approach winter. Some stay awake (like Gabriel), some sleep long periods like Nathaniel and Cierra (not sure about Castiel this winter, he'll be 2 in September). And Imp is too young, I think, he'd better be anyway!

Yes, getting a last fecal done is a good idea. Just let her do what she wants. She has alot stored, so as you said, it's not a problem.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's asleep now at the front of the tank where it's cooler under her hammock. I love how clever they are :)

Her cave/rock which she has never used as a cave is too small now anyway. Do you think I should take it out and add another hammock in its place? Give her more room and another hiding place at the cool end.

I don't want to annoy her by changing tank interior

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Leave it as is, if you find a bigger hide, maybe change it eventually. She'll probably sleep under her hammock, when the time comes, if it comes this year.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello there

Quick one.....

Princess isn't eating her roaches lately and a little salad. I am guessing this is normal fro this time of year but her business has been like a pale yellow lately. The white urine is normal but number 2 is pale yellow. Is this a problem? Usually it is normal color. It doesn't smell or anything.

Too much water?

She is out and about and lots of sunshine etc.

Thank you

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Probably because she's not eating alot of bugs right now. I wouldn't worry about it, at all.

And winter slow down seems to be starting early this year. Nathaniel has been brumating for 2 weeks now and Cierra went down yesterday, she's under her blanket and hasn't moved.

Castiel was in his hide yesterday, wide awake, so I got him out right away. Being in the hide means you're sleeping or brumating, otherwise you're out on your basking spot.

Time to feed everyone, being lazy this am, having only 3 dragons to take care of.

Going good with my son here, he's doing chores without being asked, but not always putting his plates, etc, away, so they're on the stove and I'll mention to clean up after eating. I'm not doing it anymore, once is enough. I'm very proud on how he's handing his ex, she's very demanding and likes to whine alot. The kids are being well cared for, that's good and I might be babysitting on Monday, one of my last Monday's off for the summer, so I hope so.
I got pics of my grandkids, Leo and Safara:
11887-1460891450.jpg
11887-4649903216.jpg
11887-4700007103.jpg

Are they cute enough? I can't wait to see them!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you!!

She is sooooooo YELLOW lately! Looks so healthy as well. Definitely not going into brumation that's for sure. Had her time on the window sill and then running around and seeing my fried who stayed over (nosy girl) not eating though.

Cute! LOL look at that cake!

Glad things are going well with your son :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom