when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Big benchmark for Toothless today : he's now over 300g, weighing in at 300.8g , a gain of 9.2g this week.

Peppa only gained 3.2g this week, weighing in at 370.2g.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I think Peppa is on track to be a BIG SOLID girl as least as big as big as Puff was and maybe even a bit bigger than Rex.

Toothless might level off at around 600-650g.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :
9.5 months old.

Toothless has had a growth spurt this week, been basking heaps, gained 23.7g to 324.5g.

Peppa hasn't grown as much , or been basking as much , preferring to have long siestas on her heatslab inside her fake half log hide, she only gained 2.7g this week to 372.9g.

szubelak

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":3ewebxts said:
Update :
9.5 months old.

Toothless has had a growth spurt this week, been basking heaps, gained 23.7g to 324.5g.

Peppa hasn't grown as much , or been basking as much , preferring to have long siestas on her heatslab inside her fake half log hide, she only gained 2.7g this week to 372.9g.

Heat slab? As in a rock/surface that she is laying on? I have read that those can burn a dragon very easily. Maybe others can weigh in.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
szubelak":2sdkrxgq said:
kingofnobbys":2sdkrxgq said:
Update :
9.5 months old.

Heat slab? As in a rock/surface that she is laying on? I have read that those can burn a dragon very easily. Maybe others can weigh in.

I came up with a safe way of doing this .... see viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976

My basic heatpads are very low wattage , even fully on will never be warmer than 40oC, they also have a builtin thermostat that cuts off if the pad temperature exceeds 40oC, I add a second level of control by controlling the temperature of the heatslab via a switching thermostat that I set to 38oC , if the external thermostat fails there should be no power to the pad, but if it fails and remains closed circuit (power on) rather than open circuit (power off) , the internal thermostat limits the temperature of the heatpad (and consequently the heatslab).

Been using the set up (5W and 7W heatslabs) for my skinks for over 7 years trouble free, and for the dragons (7W heatslabs) for near 4 years now.

Very much more satisfactory than placing a film heatpad under the bedding, or under the tank, and much better than electric heatrocks (that are prone to overheating when they fail).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Slow growth week for the kiddies this week.

Peppa has been shedding on her face, snouth and lips this week , still managed to gain 5.8g during the week, now 378.7g.

Toothless has been very wrestless most this week , tearing up his paper towelling bedding (his new game) , no weight gain this week after his bumper week of growth last week, 324.3g.

Both have been really enjoying their romps on the floor , both demanding time down after their diner time feeds now , both are fascinated by the crockery cupboard (currently no door on it after the 168deg corner door top corner door hinge failed - another job for daddy to do when the new hinge arrives), all the different bright colored plates, bowls, dishes, glasses and mugs have them both spellbound).

Toothless has rediscovered Rex .... he tries very hard to get her attention and to get into her tank with her (she's on the ground level) , meanwhile Rex just pretends like he's not there. No backbearding from Toothless yet, never seen him or Peppa with a blackbeard yet, but with spring just around the corner, and Toothless approaching 10 months old , we might see some courting and bbing from Toothless soon (as our teenage boy beardie starts to feel his hormonal urges --- might be in for a torrid few weeks or couple of months from him).

Toothless and Peppa haven't discovered the sunny window yet. That's still the domain of Rex and the bluetongues.

Ordering my 2' long arcardia slimline t5 luminaires from a supplier in the UK next week , can't get these here in Australia and by the time I pay the airparcel post I'll still save about 30% on what I'd have to pay to buy the equivalents from a local mailorder pet shop. Very disappointed with local suppliers, as far as I can tell there is just one 2' 24W t5 luminaire suitable for reptiles in stock in all of Australia and I'd have to wait a few months to get three as a special order (irrespective of the brand .... NOT GOOD ENOUGH and no discount for a BULK order either).
At least with the buying from the UK I'll have luminaires designed for 230V 50Hz AC , only they'll have UK 3 pin plugs , not a huge issue converting , the supplier will send me a 4 outlet UK powerboard and I'll only need ONE UK -> AU adapter rather than three.... smart thinking from the old retired engineer eh .... I could swap over the plugs but why bother.

I have four Arcadia 24W T5 12% UVB tubes on hand how too. (I have a sneeking suspition the luminaires from the UK come with 24W T5 12% UVB (or maybe 14% UVB) tubes as part of the kit (???) - same units at the same price from a compeditor in the UK do ,if they do I'll have spares (no problem with that).

I have the 6mm Perspex sheeting (precut) on hand now.
Just need some rivets, some 1" square aluminium hollow section bar, the Qubelok joiners and some 1/2" marine ply (cut to size) and I'll perhaps be ready to assemble the new three bay beardie palace.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
10 MONTHS OLD.

Peppa gained 3.7g this week , she's now 382.4g , her graph's slope has reduced .

Toothless had a growth spurt this week , gained 17g , he's now 341.3 , he's also starting to become a horny teenage boy now .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
10.5 months old today.

Growth chart thus far:
28umys0.gif

Peppa has cracked another milestone , she's now 408.4g , gained 13.1g this week and has been really great on the tooth this week , growth spurt in progress. Go Peppa !!!

Toothless has gained 5.8g this week and is now 337.6g .

Comparison : At the same age Puff (who started off at 8g at 6wks old) was 319g and Rex (who started off at 7g at 6wks old) was 337g .

Toothless has been hyperactive and really active / horny , wont leave Rex alone , gets really in her face (while Rex tries to play cool and hard to get still , she knows he cant get to her while she's safe in her enclosure ....) .
Toothless has also noticed Peppa is a girl and has started trying to court her too (meanwhile Peppa don't seem to know what to make of her silly brother's antics and just watches him) - close call : we had to rescue Peppa the other evening when she was on the floor after her diner for some exploration and fun time while I fed Toothless when he spotted her and was off me in a flash and heading straight for Peppa at warp 10 , the confused look he gave when he arrived where he saw her and she wasn't there anymore but was back on my chest being nursed and petted was priceless - the extreme headcock to one side and the frantic looking in all directions said it all " Where in the heck did she go ?" and then when he saw she was back on me " How did she get there so fast ?" ....LOL

Update on beardie apartment building :
First of three Arcadia 24W T5 HO Slimline luminaire kits (includes a 12% UVB 24W T5 Arcadia tube) arrived from the UK safely and intact. Ordered 2nd kit. Quite pricey but still cheaper than buying equivalents from local retailors and the Slimline luminaire kits are simply not stocked by anyone here in Australia anyway.
Will either connect them to an imported UK 4 outlet powerboard and that to a UK to Australia 3 pin adapter , or will source a Type 1 (Australia) 3pin to IP65 3pin cable for each luminaire (this would be the best option, hoping I can get these from Arcadia as an assessory).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear they're still doing so well! The Arcadia lights will be nice to have. Really good stuff. Fortunately you shouldn't need to replace them very often. Mine is a year and a half or so and still going strong.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa gained 9.8g this week , now 418.2g.

Toothless gained 2.1g this week (but pooed twice yesterday so this figure may be off), now 339.5g.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
11 months old today !

Peppa having a growth spurt (been the real miss piggy on the greens and bugs this week) , gained 16.9g , she's now 435.1g

Toothless is also having a growth spurt and has been expecially hungry this week (all the mad dashing about each day makes him hungry) , he gained 8.7g this week, and is now 348.2g.

Both Peppa and Toothless are very assertive about getting floor fun time at lunchtime now, essentially will not take no for an answer.

Developing nicely.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa is now 438.9g. (Pooed yesterday).

Toothless her brother is now 345.1. (Pooed yesterday and this morning before weighin)

Peppa and Toothless - joint daddy snuggle after their diner tonight
34xjokp.jpg

10qdo5v.jpg

Peppa (pancaking) and Rex tonight , she's got a little way grow yet before she is a big girl like Rex.
2nujgcp.gif

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
11.5 months old.

Peppa has had a growth spurt this week (cf 2 medium silkworms + her regular crickets each day), she gained 20.5g to come in at 459.4g today, been 4 days since her last poo (olive oil dose tomorrow if no poo today).

Toothless has gained 7.4g this week, this is despite pooing nearly everyday and this morning before weighin , he's not so keen on the silkworms but will eat them if given between crickets, he's now 352.5g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom