Bonding with my new baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitenerj

I have had my baby for 2 days now and even though he won't eat, he does remain calm on my arm and chest and likes me to put a towel over him and stroke his head. How often should I take him out of his cage being a baby and new to his surroundings? I don't want to delay him getting used to his new cage but I would like to spend time outside his cage with him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your new baby! :love5: They are very sweet at that age & will definitely form a strong bond with you if you are making the effort as you already are.
I would say you could get him out for short stints several times a day, making sure that he does spend adequate time under his UVB & basking to digest & maintain his bones. At night, before bed, you can hold him until he goes to sleep all wrapped up in his towel or blankie.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
As already said by Drachne, a little bit of gentle physical contact / snuggle / petting time each day (if the hatchling is calm when doing this) is going to help form tight bond with it.

Another way to form a great trusting bond is to give food treats each time you have the little dragon out , offer these to it , just 2 or 3 bugs (suitable sized crickets or roaches) or calcigents or small silkworms (1-1.5" long) per session , held between the finger tips and show it the bug first.

The calcigents and silkworms can be placed on your chest or tummy where the little dragon can see and easily reach them, they will usually snap the worm up pretty promptly, and will see you putting it there and will make the connection between delicious / juicey worm and your hand.

Make a routine and little calm reassuring ceremony of it , routine is everything in taming and keeping a happy and healthy pet lizard. (This even works with totally wild lizards - it just takes patience and you have to let the lizard take things at it's own pace while building a trusting friendship with it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom