Not basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

Gonzo has not been basking as much the last week or so. He is over on the cooler side of the cage. When we pick him up he feels really cold on his belly. After reading posts on here I thought maybe he was too hot so I lowered his basking light dimmer. The temp is usually 100 - 105 on the basking side. Do they not bask as much at certain times? The last time he shed was July 5th. He seems to be eating ok and we have been giving him baths do I don't think its hydration. I don't know how else to say It but he just looks tired if that makes any sense.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Are you using a bright white basking light? What kind of uvb does he have? Coil/compact or tube? What brand?

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
I checked already and We have all the correct lighting and wattage for his 40 gallon tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is Gonzo acting any better? It seems like for some reason he is avoiding the basking area. Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? Just to make sure everything is perfect for him, could you let us know the brand & type of UVB you have and what the distance is to your beardie when he's in the basking spot?

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
diamc,

I think he is doing better. Just has his own personality. I get nervous because we are a new owner and I do not know all the signs yet of illness and since he was really sick once already I do not want to see him/her like that again. Gonzo is approx. 5 months old, 16 inches long and 12.7 oz (360 grams) in weight.

We have Gonzo in a 40 gallon breeder tank. We have the Zilla slimline desert fixture with the Reptisun10. uvb bulb in it. Zoo Med 150 Watt repti basking spot lamp in the Fluker's clamp lamp with the dimmer. He basks on his rock which is 13 inches down from the lamp. I had been previously told this was all the correct lighting but any other suggestions would be great. We just have the round humidy & temperature gage from Zilla placed down towards his baking rock.

When I had him to the vet at the beginning of the month he also mentioned some people get a uva bulb or a uva/uvb combo and it helps with color and activeness of the beardie. Has anyone heard of that before? I attached a picture. His left side of his cage is brighter than it looks in the picture, its just because of the lighting in my sons room and angle of the picture.
87112-5474372725.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you referring to a mercury vapor bulb that emits both UVB & UVA? If so, those are really nice bulbs, absolutely.
The set up you have is perfectly fine, but you can definitely change if you wanted to just to try it out.
Do you have a digital probe or a temp gun you could use to double check your temperatures because the round type ones are usually inaccurate.

Tracie

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Tracie,

I honestly don't know what that bulb is. The vet just mentioned many people use it and it make the Beardie more colorful and happier. If you know what they are could you let me know who makes them and where to get them at? I will get a different thermometer. Where do I get a probe or gun at specifically for the Beardie? Also have you heard of Symptom Black Soldier Flies? They appear to be the same as phoenix worms but cheaper. https://www.symtonbsf.com/store/checkout?cart=579ccca24b02a

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom