blister above eye??

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsArashi

recently my beardie got a little too close to her lamp and got the area above her eye burned. i immediately applied cold water and later a dab of raw honey to help it heal. it's been 3 days now, and while it originally seemed to be improving, it has developed into a blister-like appearance (clearish, looks like it has fluid in it) and is swelling.

about 2 hours ago she started to keep her eye closed on the side with the blister, and it seems to hurt her if it contacts anything (she swipes her eye with her foot). she can open her eye, but opens it only halfway before closing it again.
(the shine on it is the honey)
33vdt8z.jpg

should i take her to the vet, or wait to see if it starts to clear up? i'm concerned about it getting worse than it is, especially if it's painful for her. ;-;

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the raw honey will help. The most important thing is to keep it from getting infected, especially if the blister bursts (hopefully it won't). It's probably a good idea to have a check up with an experienced vet as well, especially if the swelling doesn't subside. A vet may have some additional treatment that may be helpful. I don't like to have my basking lamps any closer than about 12'' from the highest basking area to prevent contact. A wire cage as KingofNobbys suggested is a good idea if that distance can't be set.

itsArashi

Original Poster
update; went to the vet and everything went very well. the vet rubbed betadine on the blister in prep for removing the fluid, but the skin was fragile enough the fluid went out on its own (thanks to the honey!)

she's a lot happier; no more swelling/pain. i got 3 days of oral pain meds for her while it heals but other than that she's doing much better. i'll keep applying dabs of honey on it until it fully heals meanwhile.

thanks for the help! :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom