update: Question answered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyMaven

Update: The lovely Diane from this forum helped me out as well as Ruben and Cooper. Not sure how to delete this post now?

Hello!

I've been loving all the great info here. I have read the newbies lighting thread as well as others. THANK YOU for all the helpful info.

Two questions I don't seem to see the answer to (and apologize if they're there).

What size UVB ReptiSun 10.0 is appropriate for the terrarium I have?
She's itty bitty and was housed in a 10 gallon tank before me. I opted to a 20 gallon as a transition. When she's older and growing of course I'll upgrade the terrarium too.

For a 20 gallon 30inch Long, which should I get? The options I see are:
18" - T8 Bulb - (15 Watt)
24" - T8 Bulb - (17 Watt)

Also, I'm concerned about hanging the fixture inside the tank per the suggestions as even if I move the drift wood around, will she be too close to the light? How close can she be to the bulb?

I've enclosed pictures for your help. (Thank you!!) And p.s. Yes she currently has lighting. I moved it for the picture. The man I got her from gave me bad info, so currently she has exoterra uvb 13w (I know now... BAD!), and exoterra 75w intense basking

87842-4805696993.jpg
87842-1168047157.jpg

Thank you for your help!
I'm posting this on the original thread too. Not sure best place to post. Moderator feel free to delete if this doesn't belong her. Thank you!

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Get the 24 inch so you can use it in future enclosures, if it is above the screen you should be fine. If you are using the Compact UVB coils they are ok to use as long as you mount them correctly, issues they had before have been generally resolved however if not used properly they can be too intense. remember to take all advice carefully as no one is an "expert" and each owner will have their own preferences. Does he always pick that spot to hang out? or is the light usually there? you can try placing the heat source over a lower section or even just using something different for the basking area and just leave the gym as a play/extra perch. you'll want to have the heat on one end of the tank regardless seeing as it is a smaller tank, that way there is some type of heat gradient. play around with the set-up a bit and test the temperatures as you go.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
ruben0311":3v0bik2x said:
Get the 24 inch so you can use it in future enclosures, if it is above the screen you should be fine. If you are using the Compact UVB coils they are ok to use as long as you mount them correctly, issues they had before have been generally resolved however if not used properly they can be too intense. remember to take all advice carefully as no one is an "expert" and each owner will have their own preferences. Does he always pick that spot to hang out? or is the light usually there? you can try placing the heat source over a lower section or even just using something different for the basking area and just leave the gym as a play/extra perch. you'll want to have the heat on one end of the tank regardless seeing as it is a smaller tank, that way there is some type of heat gradient. play around with the set-up a bit and test the temperatures as you go.

Thank you so much for your response!! It can be confusing with all the different opinions. That's for sure. I was told that the UVB I have is not enough UVB rays. Then I was told that if I put the reptisun uvb 10.0 in a proper holder on top of the screen that it will also not give off enough uvb as the screen interferes.

She loves her perches. I keep the basking and uvb on that side of the cage although will move the basking to the farthest corner (still on the basking side) when the terrarium gets a little too warm. It's hot here in southern california right now!

She comes to the front perch as her "cooling spot" versus going to the cooling side of the terrarium (as pictured below). She has slept on the cool side a couple of times (lights off at night and no heater, it's hot here right now)

Hope that clears that up? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

here's a pic with lights on. she just moved from basking area to cool off I think. This spot and the other spot from the other pics are her favorite places. p.s. It's not even near that dark in here. I have no clue why it photographed like this. it's still bright in here like the last photos.

87842-6299772248.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Remember that with a T8, the optimal distance is is about 6-8'' so you'll want to make sure the highest basking branch is in that range. If you have a fixture with a reflector it shouldn't be a problem to put it on top of the 20g tank but if you move a T8 to a larger tank you'll want it inside to ensure the top isn't intercepting any of the power (mounting distance should be the same). If you want to upgrade to a T5 in a larger tank it will give you a higher output and an optimal output at around 12-14'' so it can be mounted on top of the larger tank without a problem. In that case I'd just get an 18'' and a Zilla Slimline fixture so you can use the T8 for travel or as a backup.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
CooperDragon":17d41cog said:
Remember that with a T8, the optimal distance is is about 6-8'' so you'll want to make sure the highest basking branch is in that range. If you have a fixture with a reflector it shouldn't be a problem to put it on top of the 20g tank but if you move a T8 to a larger tank you'll want it inside to ensure the top isn't intercepting any of the power (mounting distance should be the same). If you want to upgrade to a T5 in a larger tank it will give you a higher output and an optimal output at around 12-14'' so it can be mounted on top of the larger tank without a problem. In that case I'd just get an 18'' and a Zilla Slimline fixture so you can use the T8 for travel or as a backup.

Thank you! I was just thinking about what do I do if I have to take her to the vet or something and she has to be out of light for a while. I'll look into the zilla slimline!
Already excited for when she's ready to upgrade her tank! great to know about the lights! Thank you!

I have a hood coming for it (same company) and will cut out the screen underneath the bulb to make sure she gets the most UVB possible.
She is a curious climber and enjoys hanging off things (even her thermometer!) so I think it's best to put it on top vs. in as I have a feeling she'd tend to get way to close too often. I'll make sure her basking area is optimal distance.

Thank you again! You, Diane and Ruben are amazing on this forum. I see you all helping people everywhere! thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom