All about Ripley the beardie, enclosure ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum! I got my first BD in April and have been using this site for a lot of research! I want to post some pics of my BD and her enclosure and see what you guys think.
This is Ripley, I got her in April and they said she was about a month old so I am guessing she is 4 months old now. This is her on the day we brought her home. She was 6" & weighed 10.5g
87863-1499686577.jpg
87863-2950187382.jpg
and her first setup
87863-2674452025.jpg
, I switched out the repticarpet for tiles and removed the plants (really difficult to clean and metal wires sticking out-NOT SAFE)
Here is her current setup:
87863-9697490339.jpg
-40G tank with front opening doors
-Slate tiles for flooring
-ReptiSun 10.0 T5 mounted inside the tank for UVB and she can get within 6-8 inches from her hammock or the top of the branch, 8-10inches if shes on her bridge or top of the cave

-(Left dome)75w Flood lamp from homedepot (Philips Eco brand) for basking- she basks on the top of her branch and the temps are usually between 99-108F (currently it is 108F), hot side is usually between 85-90F, cool side 83F-86F, When I first got her in April it was still very cold so instead of the 75w flood light, I had a 90w flood light in the dome which was producing basking temps of about 110-115F, as it got warmer I switched it to the 75w flood light and figured since she is a bit bigger now she wouldn't need the 110F temp for her basking, What do you guys think? Is it ok to keep the 75w during summer and switch back to the 90w when it becomes cooler?

-(middle dome)- Natural fluorescent daylight coil bulb for added light to brighten up tank (5000K)
-(Right side mini dome)- 40W clear bulb for added heat or light if needed, I live in NY and now it's summer time so I haven't been using it, When I first got her in April it was still very cold overnight so I had a CHE in that dome that I used overnight

-Thermometers: I have 2 digital thermometers/hygrometers mounted on the insides of the glass-1 on cool side 1 on hot side, I also have a infrared thermometer gun to measure the temps of her basking and hot/cool side I also use the thermo gun to make sure the thermometers are accurate, currently my humidity readings are: hot side 41%, cool side 46% (both hygrometers were calibrated using the salt test before use), I have been searching the forum to find tips on lowering the humidity levels, I think overall my Apt can get very humid especially in the summer time, I usually keep a water bowl in the tank but since summer has started I took it out. I try to give her a bath 2 times a week and I give her water through a needleless syringe, that's the only way she will drink. I have the AC on a timer to come on in intervals throughout the day when i am at work so that it doesn't get too hot in my apt. On some days the humidity reaches 50%! I place a fan near by to improve air flow. I recently ordered 2 accurite thermometer/Hygrometer to measure the humidity in the apt to see if a dehumidifier is necessary, I also have a few house plants near her tank, so maybe that raises the levels?

Her diet: her staple protein is Dubia roaches, I started a dubia colony when I first got her and it is doing wonderful! I am quite proud of myself for starting a successful dubia colony being this is my first time owning a reptile =], Ripley LOVES her dubias, she gets occasional crickets if I decide to let my colony rest & catch up. She's also had some silk worms, phoenix worms and hornworms before. I've only ordered them once but will order them again soon.

Her greens: collard, mustard, water cress, kale, occasional blueberries & mangoes (her favorite), we give her Squash, bok choi occasionally, BUT Ripley doesn't really like to eat her greens much =/, I've read its normal for young beardies, she does eat a few leaves here and there but not consistent. Also the past few days she hasn't had much of an appetite and has been eating less, only a few crickets and a few dubias, her poop is normal, she goes daily, I think it might have something to do with her shedding.

She's very active, roams around the entire enclosure, jumps up the back glass as if she's trying to climb the background but it's on the outside, jumps from her bridge to her branch all the time, last few days shes been glass dancing a little but again she is currently shedding, I bring her outside often and she turns a bright yellow/orange, she's beautiful! but she darkens once she's back in, I never seen her puff up or show her beard yet, but I take it as a good thing =], if she isn't walking around her enclosure she is basking on her branch most of the time.

She is now 4 months old, 13 inches long and weighs 145grams. Sometimes she has wrinkles in her skin and I'm not sure if she's dehydrated or if it's normal because she is a leatherback? here is a pic of her with wrinkles
87863-9941790984.jpg
and then sometimes it's not there?
87863-9306679735.jpg

please let me know what you guys think of her enclosure, her set up and overall comments! I am open to all opinions and advice, I just want the best for my Ripley! here are a few more pics of my little girl =) enjoy and thanks for reading!!!
87863-9154995582.jpg
87863-4742474672.jpg
87863-6594220130.jpg
87863-6215386707.jpg
87863-1900861371.jpg
87863-9194413125.jpg
87863-3334279009.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you've done an excellent job and could be in a manual for how to properly set up a dragon. :) Everything is pretty much spot on....and 50% humidity is not bad at all, parts of Australia will get that level of humidity, it can go up + down just like it does in the U.S and other countries. The cool end could be a few degrees cooler with no problem but is in the proper range. Well done !

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, everything looks great. Your temperatures are fine as they are so I wouldn't worry about it. Is your UVB light a T5 or a T8? It looks like a T8 in the photos in which case 6'' is a good distance but if it's a T5 you'll want it sitting more like 12'' over the basking area. She looks like she's doing really well and growing lots so keep up the good work =)

Ripley1015

Original Poster
Thank you so much! It's very encouraging to hear those words! I must of done a year's worth of research before actually bringing a BD home, I know they live a long time and I wanted to be ready and knowledgeable in caring for my beardie, what do you think about those wrinkles she has? I'm worried she's dehydrated but it's not always there, she seems to be eating less dubias this week but I think it's a phase? I fed her today and she went after them right away, sometimes she looks at them and doesn't seem interested, but other than that she seems happy and healthy, now I'm thinking about getting her a harness and maybe an outdoor playpen for her to explore more

Ripley1015

Original Poster
It's a Reptisun 10.0 T5, small thin tube, I have it in a high output fixture made for plants but no reflector, I was thinking if I need a reflector for higher UVB output? Im also considering buying one of those solarmeters to keep track of my UVB output and this way I will know when to exactly change the bulbs, her lights come on at 7am -9pm, I know I have to change the UVB every 6 months , but I think having a solarmeter will give me a better idea when to change it so I don't waste money, do you guys use one ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you're using a syringe for water, just be sure to give her as much as she wants and she'll be fine. Wrinkles don't mean anything, there bellies expand and deflate as they eat large amounts of food, so sometimes they are not so full and a few wrinkles show.

The uvb is great, I myself don't use a solar meter, just change the bulbs when needed. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd lower the basking areas a bit so they're maybe 8-10'' or so below the bulb. The reflector will direct more light down over the basking area and give the light greater range. Mine has an optimal output at about 12'' with a reflector. I use a solarmeter and love having it but they are expensive so I consider it a luxury. The 6.5 which is what I use measures UV Index making it easier to compare output between bulbs and between a bulb and sunlight. The 6.2 will measure UVB output so you can more easily measure the decay of a specific bulb. Generally speaking, the T5 should be good for at least a year or so. Taterbug put together a really nice chart to reference which may be helpful to reference and see outputs of different configurations https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

AshleyMaven

Beautiful set up! Beautiful beardie! I'm a brand new beardie owner so not qualified to comment on correctness or not. But on aesthetics, it's beautiful! I'd love to know where you got some of the beautiful decor from?

Congrats on your new friend!

Ripley1015

Original Poster
AshleyMaven":3n36b5l3 said:
Beautiful set up! Beautiful beardie! I'm a brand new beardie owner so not qualified to comment on correctness or not. But on aesthetics, it's beautiful! I'd love to know where you got some of the beautiful decor from?

Congrats on your new friend!

Thank you ashleymaven! I got the branch,bridge & cave at Petsmart in the reptile aisle, they have cool cute decor in the fish tank Isle too, they sell the hammock as well but I ordered the hammock and fake plants all on Amazon, way cheaper, the leaves are flukers Brand, you can find it all on amazon, the only thing I didn't like was the leaves are made of a fabric material and Ripley loved pooing on the leaves, they were hard to clean and smelled, after bending the stems to place around the cage some of the metal wiring was sticking out and I was afraid she would cut herself walking over so I got rid of it but it does look nice, I'm looking into some plastic waterproof plants that I can easily wash

AshleyMaven

It looks great! I'll have to take a trip to the pet store! This is my girls set up.... it's function over looks. (Where I got her told me this is what she needed). You've inspired me to beautify her home! Especially her next home when she's ready for an upgrade. This is only a 20gal 30inch. She's still tiny. I love that rock background too! Looks so nice!
Congrats on your new friend! so adorable!

87842-1168047157.jpg

(p.s. yes, I have lighting :) took it off to take the pic)
she's a climber, so she digs her drift wood playpen.

here's my girl....

87842-2033917411.jpg

87842-8330379771.jpg

87842-2255478027.jpg

87842-253830492.jpg

87842-2471835949.jpg

(first bath and sunbathing) ;-)

Sending love! Your baby is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom