Hatchling suddenly unwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
One of our 3 week old hatchlings has started acting weird. What originally worried me, and turned out to be dirt, was what looked like a bite on the snout from maybe fighting over food. But now that I'm holding the baby it won't open the pictured eye and only squint barely out of the other and is very still and seeming frightened out of it's little witts. I'm not sure what happened and I'm worried :( the little one is housed with 5 other siblings in a 90L tub, 75 watt basking light and a coil uvb only temporary as im waiting on Arcadia lights. Their basking box is a range of 95-105 surface temps taken with a gun throughout the day. They are fed quarter inch crix twice a day dusted with calcium d3 and BSFL once a day, misted in the morning after a meal and they eat greens for me every other day (bok Choy, collard, dandelion, and on occassion green head lettuce) I handle them once a week at least and clean poop out daily. They are on paper towel. Any help is appreciated :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may be that he was actually bitten and the spot you saw was residue from the others mouth even though the bite didn't break the skin. If it was a bite it might have just irritated the eye a bit. Or it may be that his eyes are being affected by the coil uvb. How close is it ? It sounds like the rest are doing very well though, eating greens already, too. :)

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's around 8 inches over to their basking box (I say that as I just use tissue boxes with a paper towel on half sothey can climb) do you suggest maybe turning it off and just dusting a little more and see if that'll help the baby? I believe the bite may have happened because a BSFL got on it's head maybe. He's just sitting below the basking spot right now where I put him down. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't turn it off, babies need a lot of uvb exposure , where adults can go a few weeks without, babies can not. You might try taking the bins outside when it's not too hot [ if possible ], in a naturally partly shaded area. Be very careful if you do, they generally get too hot in a plastic tub once it's over 80 outside. By the way, do you have some branches for them to climb besides the little box for basking ? Cardboard egg crating is good, too.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We are working on trying to find some. I dot want to go cut park trees or anything so I'm trying to find someone who recently cut their tree. We have a yard trimmings depot but I wouldn't be able to tell what tree it was. And we live in an apartment so we dont really have a place to bring them outside. I was thinking of making a window box with screen so they could play in there but I'm not sure how much uv it'd block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom