HELP!!! WHAT IS THIS!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie either pooped, or puked this up this morning. I do not know what it is, and I am new to beardies so I have never seen this before... can anyone tell me?
87807-8124699653.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's definitely a poo. If you just got him it may be an odd poo due to stress. Can you post pics of him as well as his set up and list what he's eating ? It's no danger right now, so don't worry too much. :)

to be honest it looks like sperm, or a sperm plug. In my experiences older males beardies usually have some kind of clearance of hemipenes after brummation. Usually not noticed, but sometimes pretty gross depending on how active the dragon has been, how often he sees girls, if he's bred etc.

I actually didn't find out about this until a few years after I started caring for dragons, as my first couple were females, and my first male was a hatchling!!

If it isn't a male dragon, there's a good possibility she re-absorbed a clutch of eggs, and she's expelling whatever fluids are making her uncomfortable. It's a variety of things in that case, mostly the lining that makes eggs not stick to them when they are laid, but also compressed fluids that are natural to her, and have just become compressed by either her weight or the weight of the eggs. Sometimes dragons have minor kidney and liver issues, mostly build-ups just like us. Make sure the dragon is passing sufficient urates (the white stuff that's in their poop) and if you notice that she isn't it could signify some kind of kidney malfunction, that does not mean any sort of failure, and is actually a fairly common problem in bearded dragons since they have such a high calcium intake. Don't panic, just keep and eye on them, make sure they are in fact passing food normally, if they are, don't worry!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You've given her a great enclosure, lots of space and decor for climbing. :) She does have a saggy beard which may indicate water retention and/or kidney problems, but not always does. Be sure to keep her well hydrated. Use a calcium supplement 3X a week, vitamins 1-2X a week. And to be sure of the gender, here's a little trick:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209431

And I don't see any sign of expelled eggs or a sperm plug...sperm plugs are some what hard.

HeraTargaryen

Original Poster
We are going to watch her more closely, but I can say that after her bath and passing that goo she worked up an appetite. She ate 10 crickets and 5 horn worms... within a few minutes. Now she's getting a second warm bath to aid in hydration. Will post updates as soon as I have them. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She should be just fine, that is just an odd stool, but nothing too alarming.
Which UVB are you using & what is the supplementation schedule like for her?
Her tank looks very nice, very spacious for her! I am sure she loves it with all of the climbing branches around.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

HeraTargaryen

Original Poster
I am giving her the calcium supplement every feeding of crickets. She gets about 10 crickets each sitting. She gets 5-10 worms no calcium powder depending on how many she wants to eat. And she gets her veggies which she picks through.
The lights and housings came with her, so they were used. I am not sure how old they are but I can tell you max temp we've seen in her tank is 84.7 degrees. So that leads me to believe her temps are off. I am going to buy new bulbs tonight.
We bathed her twice with warm water yesterday to help her shed and she literally came alive. She was a very happy girl this AM. Acting pretty much normal.

Here is a pic of her snuggling
87807-5293316026.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she seems to be feeling much better now! :D
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures? Which UVB lights & brand are you using since they came with the tank? It might be a good idea to change them out if they are pretty old, also. The UVB lights don't last forever unfortunately.
She needs calcium just once daily, 4-5 days per week if she is under 1 year or so & still growing.
I am glad she is doing better after her baths.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

HeraTargaryen

Original Poster
Hera is feeling much better.
We tried spicing up her diet variety. She is much more active and alert now. So much so, that we took her outside and she ran back into the house on a wild spree. It took us thirty minutes to finally catch her.

She's got tons of personality, but she is definitely not a snuggle bug. She wants to be stroked for a very small amount of time, and when she's had enough...that's it. She's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom