New Beardie - 8 months old and skittish (like me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xani333

Hi there,
I'm wondering if someone can help me. I adopted my first beardie 3 days ago, he's 8 months old, adopted from a pet store and was adored by everyone in the store (friendly etc).
He has an 80 gallon viv, properly set up with UV lamp, heat lamp & night lamp. Viv gets to 104f on his basking stone (digital probe therm.) and 70f on the cooler end. He's eating very well and has done since he arrived (greens+apple+carrot in morning and live mealworms+crickets at night).
The worry I have is that he appears very scared of me - complete contrast to how he was around the pet store staff. If I open the viv door - he will shoot across to the other side of the viv - when I open that end, he tries to crawl up the wall! I'm a bit skittery myself by nature - anything that moves quickly, I react quickly, but I love him so much and want him to trust me and know that I'm not a threat. I feed him live insects off tongs - he attacks the tongs quite aggressivly so I'm worried about hand feeding. I have handled him 4 times since he arrived. I have had a cuddle when hes been a bit groggy towards sleep time and loved having him snuggled up in a blanket on my shoulder - but is that a good idea? - should I be potentially disturbing his sleep and would this help him trust me? Is it best for me to continue trying to handle him? - or give him time/space to get used to his new surroundings? Sorry for all the questions but I would really like some help as to what the best approach is to gain his trust and bond.

Thank you

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
I have found that bearded dragons (especially young ones) are like puppies they take a bit of time sometimes to get used to new places and people. Snuggling before bed will help him to get used to you and trust you so it isn'ta bad thing how ever you ddon'twant to cut into his sleep time too much. As far as the running away from you when you open his enclosure to help wit this keep on doing it yout have to open it to feed him anyway but instead of just opening it to feed him also place your hand inside and sit there a while as still as you can be and he will get used to you that way too over time. Hand feeding is another good way to get him used to t you and iIwwouldn'tworry so much about the him a tackingyour hand at first. He only has really small teeth that will not hurt it will only seem like a light pinch however if he is biting you to get the food out of your hand more than a few times iIwould switch back to the tongs you ddon'twant him to think iit'sok to bite people.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If he's only been with you for a few days , some of his standoffish behaviour will likely be due to relocation stress, it is a big change and very stressful for a lizard to go to new home, new enclosure, new routines, potentially different foods and different feeding routines , and new lighting schedule , and they are confronted with a strange people they don't know , new sights, new sounds , new smells , all very scary.

Give him a week or so to adjust and get used to the new things , and spend as much time as you can hanging out where he can see and hear and smell you , talking calmly to him and let him observe you.

The other suggestions of snuggles when he's sleepy and handfeeding are good ways to get a lizard used to you and to befriend it.

All this will , naturally , be something you cant and shouldn't force on the new spikey child, let it adjust at it's own pace.

DEFINITELY NEVER CHASE him In his enclosure, this will only re-inforce his fear of you (and the 5 headed monster) , talk to him before and as you open his tank, and let him see your hand coming (slowly) , if he backs off , leave him be, or try to entice / bribe him with a tasty food treat ( a silkworm or cricket say ) .
You'll get best results with a skittish lizard if you give him a couple of nice yummy desireable food treats every time you pick him up , this way he'll soon come to associate you and your hand with good things that will give him pleasure , and you wont be far off having a lizard who will then enjoy a snuggle and being petted gently by you.

Xani333

Original Poster
Thank you kingofnobbys, really good advice too. This forum is great help and really glad I reached out for support,
Xani (and Tàne my beardie)

Xani333

Original Poster
Well, just wanted to say I took all the feedback offered and Tàne and I now both enjoy hand feeding (all though it takes a while as he seems to have an endless tummy for livies)! He allows me to stroke his head and back each time I hand feed him (twice a day) and over the last few days allows me to scoop him up slowly and take him round the house on my shoulder. At times he shuts his eyes and others he takes a good look around and moves around my shoulders and arms. He's never attempted to bite me while feeding and I no longer use tongs. He's shedding a bit but I'm thinking this is growth given his unbelievable appetite and he doesn't seem stressed at all now. Happy days. Thank you again for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom