Chubby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsmith271994

Hey everyone,

I have had my beardie Omega since she was just a little bub at only 3 weeks old. She's almost 4 years old now and thus far our time together has been nothing short of exciting and silly... and reasonably FAT. She loves to eat. Superworms are her favorite and she often goes on strike if I don't give them to her daily (spoiled to say the least). I feed her lots of fruits and veggies but she never seems excited about her greens. I always put superworms in the veggies/fruit bowl because she is very attracted by the motion of the wormies and its really the only way I have gotten her to eat any fruits or vegetables. The thing is, she seems a bit chubby. I can't post pictures now as I am at work (slow day lol) but she has a plump belly. I know she is not gravid and her behavior has not varied, shes still her goofy little self. I just worry because her tummy is definitely a bit bigger than it should be (and has been for a few months now) and I want to make sure she is healthy. Should I put her on a diet? I have tried not feeding her the superworms in her veggies and trying to get her to eat more greens and fruits without the worms and have less fat intake, but she genuinely has no interest in that concept. Part of me believes she is simply spoiled so I have tried the "deprivation" technique where I only feed her veggies and fruits day after day until she's hungry enough that she gives in to the "boring" healthy stuff. That plan has had no success. She just waits and waits for that superworm day to come. Any ideas on how to get her to a more healthy weight? I will weigh her, measure her and post a pic of her to this thread later (when I get off work) as I'm sure that will help you all give more accurate advice and have a better idea of what my little chubbs looks like :p. Hope everyone is having a great day and thanks in advance for your input! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She sounds very spoiled indeed~! :D That is something that a lot of us have had to endure.
You have tried other "wormies" to no avail, like hornworms or silkworms? Supers are great, but it's good to always mix things up some for variety & to decrease fat content as they become adults.
How many weekly do you give her?
Does she get out of her tank regularly, too for playtime?
A bit more exercise can help her shed some weight, too.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
She's got you well trained. LOL

Re getting supers as her daily insect meal, not the best feeder. If she likes supers , she go nuts for large silkworms = great daily feeder insect (and these will be better for her too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom