How many crickets is normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyMaven

Hey ya'll, I have a brand new 2-3 week old beardie. I know.... really young......

I've done my research and doing my best to be an amazing responsible beardie mom.
A question I have that I can't seem to find a straight answer.....

How many x-tra small/small crickets is normal/healthy for her to be eating a day. I know she's allowed to have as many as she wants. I'm just wondering what's the average number so I can gage if she's healthy. This is day 3 of us together. I'd say she's eating around 10-15 per day which seems really low to me based on my research. I read some people saying theirs this age eat up to 50 per day. but she seems alert, happy, and is even eating a bit of the dandelion greens.

The guy who I got her from also gave me baby meal worms. Which I've since read is a no-no. But she seems very interested in those! I only let her have 3-5 each day. I used them to make sure she was hungry and interested in food as I think she gets over chasing her food sometimes.

She also went to the bathroom consistently once a day.

I've sprayed her with warm water in my hand, but will give her a proper soak tomorrow.

I may also try the box inside her terrarium as a feeding box.... that seemed like a good idea to help her out catching the crickets.

She seems really happy and healthy. I was just concerned she's not eating enough.

Thanks in advanced for your help!
:D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new little one. Since you've only had her a few days, it's great that she's eating 10 to 15 crickets a day. It's not uncommon for them to take even up to 2 wks to setttle in before they eat anything at all. I would say she is doing well considering all the changes. Once she adjusts, she could eat 30 + a day. The amount varies and as long as she is active, eating, pooping, basking, it's absolutely fine. As she grows into a juvenile, she may eat 50 to 100 a day, that's just an estimate.

You're right about the mealworms, they have a hard chitin shell which can cause an impaction, especially in a baby. They also don't really have any nutritional value so it's best to completely avoid them. You could get her some calci-worms (phoenix worms) which are small, very nutritious and high in calcium.

To help slow the crickets down so she can catch them easier, you can put 1/2 dozen in a ziploc bag with a pinch of calcium added to it and put in the frig for a few minutes, that will help slow them down. Make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between her eyes. Offer her crickets 3 times a day but only dust one of those feedings with calcium and do that for 5 days a wk. On the other 2 days, dust one of the feedings with vitamins.

It's also a good idea to offer fresh veggies and greens daily. She may nibble a little but not concerning if she doesn't show much interest for a while as right now, she needs a lot of protein to help her grow. Here's a site that shows the best foods to feed in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

If you have any other questions, let us know. Good luck with your new baby. :) We LOVE pictures.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
Wow, thank you so much! Great info!! I so appreciate your help!! She has even eaten a few pieces of her dandelion greens I gave her. So that's awesome! I will refer to this list. The tip about the crickets is AWESOME! Super excited to try that tomorrow! Sounds like it will be way easier for me to pick up the ones she doesn't eat too! I'm still wrestling with catching 2 before bed!
Thank you so much for your help! I am brand new to bearded dragons, but oh my gosh.... I adore her! And crazy enough, she seems really fond of me too!
She's so awesome!
With gratitude,
sending blessings,
Ash

p.s. is there a place we get to share pictures? I'm like a proud new mama wanting to show her off and also see everyone else's!! :D (my instagram is @AshleyMaven if you ever post pics of yours, I'd love to follow you and see!)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear the info helped. :) You can start an Introduction thread and post pics there if you'd like. This link will tell you how: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then post the XIMG link for each picture.

Yes, best to remove any uneaten crickets before bedtime otherwise they may nibble on her when she's sleeping which can cause nasty sores.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
Once again, thank you so much!
Yes, I read that. I won't have any crickets gnawing on her! (I've successfully caught said stragglers)
Thanks again for your help and being so welcoming!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Depends on the size of the crickets and the size of the hatchling .
How big is it (in grams) ?

Sizes of crickets:
If PINHEADS (4mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/pin-head-crickets/
... expect to use 50 or per feed , and that's three live feeds per day.
If 15-20 day old sized crickets (7mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/small-crickets/
.... expect to give maybe 10 per feed and that's three live feeds per day
if 1/3 size crickets (15mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/medium-crickets/
... expect to give maybe 5-6 per feed and that's three live feeds per day

Other excellent feeder insects or a hatchling are
.....similar sized gutloaded and dusted roaches
.....calcigents/calciworms/phoenix worms/BSF maggots (a superfood)
.....small (about 1-1.5" long) silkworms (a superfood)
.....blowfly maggots/gents.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3nbjt1jc said:
Depends on the size of the crickets and the size of the hatchling .
How big is it (in grams) ?

Sizes of crickets:
If PINHEADS (4mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/pin-head-crickets/
... expect to use 50 or per feed , and that's three live feeds per day.
If 15-20 day old sized crickets (7mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/small-crickets/
.... expect to give maybe 10 per feed and that's three live feeds per day
if 1/3 size crickets (15mm) eg https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product/medium-crickets/
... expect to give maybe 5-6 per feed and that's three live feeds per day

Other excellent feeder insects or a hatchling are
.....similar sized gutloaded and dusted roaches
.....calcigents/calciworms/phoenix worms/BSF maggots (a superfood)
.....small (about 1-1.5" long) silkworms (a superfood)
.....blowfly maggots/gents.

Thank you so much! I don't know how many grams she is. I was told she was 2 - 3 weeks old. I'm not sure the person who I got her from knows what he's talking about though.

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
diamc":2axqh0y7 said:

You were so incredibly helpful, I thought I might share this other question with you. Hope that's okay! I posted it in the enclosure forum as well.

What size UVB ReptiSun 10.0 is appropriate for the terrarium I have?
She's itty bitty and was housed in a 10 gallon tank before me. I opted to a 20 gallon as a transition. When she's older and growing of course I'll upgrade the terrarium too.

For a 20 gallon 30inch Long, which should I get? The options I see are:
18" - T8 Bulb - (15 Watt)
24" - T8 Bulb - (17 Watt)

Also, I'm concerned about hanging the fixture inside the tank per the suggestions as even if I move the drift wood around, will she be too close to the light? How close can she be to the bulb?

I've enclosed pictures for your help. (Thank you!!) And p.s. Yes she currently has lighting. I moved it for the picture. The man I got her from gave me bad info, so currently she has exoterra uvb 13w (I know now... BAD!), and exoterra 75w intense basking

87842-4805696993.jpg
87842-1168047157.jpg

Thank you for your help!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, for a 30" tank, I would go with a 24" bulb so that it would cover about 2/3 of the tank. This way there will be an area where she can escape the UVB if she prefers. For the T8's, the distance from the bulb to your beardie should be no closer than 6" to 8" when she's in the basking spot. Do you think you will have that much distance available with it inside the tank? If not, you could rearrange the log so that the distance would be right or leave the light on top of the screen but cut a hole around the hood so the light can shine right through with no screen obstructing it.

Let me know what you think and we can discuss further. :p

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
diamc":10q7q8m1 said:
Hi, for a 30" tank, I would go with a 24" bulb so that it would cover about 2/3 of the tank. This way there will be an area where she can escape the UVB if she prefers. For the T8's, the distance from the bulb to your beardie should be no closer than 6" to 8" when she's in the basking spot. Do you think you will have that much distance available with it inside the tank? If not, you could rearrange the log so that the distance would be right or leave the light on top of the screen but cut a hole around the hood so the light can shine right through with no screen obstructing it.

Let me know what you think and we can discuss further. :p

Once again, thank you so much!! You are such a help! I totally appreciate it!

There is not enough room even with them rearranged, I think. I could have the drift woods cut down a few inches which might help. and then rearrange them
or else just buy the hood like you said. I feel nervous that she'd burn herself putting the light directly in (although I personally prefer the more affordable option). She's pretty curious and loves to climb..... I'm not sure that she wouldn't try to jump on it. maybe that answered my question right there.

thank you again.

(update, I bought hood and light, they're on their way!)

AshleyMaven

Original Poster
diamc":1tjdvajo said:

Could I trouble you for one more question? Truly thank you, you have given me the best information!

I know I'm to dust calcium D3 once per day for 5 days. I use Rep-cal Pshophorus-free Calclium with D3 ultra fine powder. Is that okay?

Which multivitamin should I buy? I was told to get rep-cal herptivie multi vitamin (blue bottle)
Is this good?

Thank you again.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No problem. Just so you know, the T8 UVB's don't really get hot but if she is a climber, you wouldn't want her up real close to the UVB light. Great that you have the bulb and hood ordered. :)

I agree that the RepCal and herptivite are both great, that's what I use. You're right with the calcium dosage, the vitamin should be dusted the other 2 days and also once a day.

You're doing great. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom