Ellie not walking right :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdishon95

Hey everyone, any help with this would be awesome.
My 1.5 year old bearded dragon has struggled with parasites her entire life, i've gone to the vet and had multiple rounds of treatment, however her poop refuses to become solid, its always a mud pile.
about 3 months ago, she dropped 3 different clutches of infertiles just for background knowledge.

My vet told me to limit her protein to 1-2 times a week and feed mainly veggies. However today after she pooped I noticed her walking around like something was very wrong.. She was slow and couldnt hold her front arms up, but she could hold up her rear. She is fat and looks healthy, has a UVB 10.0, and has veggies daily as well as dubia 2x a week.

anyone please help..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry about your girl having this trouble. It may be calcium related.....how much, what kind and how often do you use calcium powder and is it with or without D3 ? What exact type + brand of lights do you use ? Can you take her out in the sun a few times a week , just set her in the grass since she can't get away from you. [ Never in a glass tank ]

Is she on meds. right now ? If so, you should take her off so her body can balance out the good gut flora [ bacteria ] ....it's possible that with over use of antibiotics/dewormer that her immune system is weakened + not functioning properly.

If you can, post a video of how she's walking.

And if this is calcium related, you can probably correct it with some adjustments.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A video would be helpful. Does she have any bone deviations like a kind in the tail, etc or a crooked toe/finger that you have seen?
Your Reptisun 10 light, is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Is it mounted on top of the screen or underneath of the screen & at what distance from her?
Ellie is a cute name, hopefully you can get this corrected quickly. Could she have possibly hurt herself somehow?

Tracie

jdishon95

Original Poster
I will try and post a video tomorrow afternoon as she is asleep at the moment. Her enclosure was handmade with melamine by myself, the UVB10.0 has no screen blocking it from her with a max height of 16" from her, with most being around 10-14" distance. Her calcium has no D3 as instructed by my vet, I give calcium with D3 to my other beardies, but I was recommended to take the D3 out to allow her body to naturally produce it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is the Reptisun 10.0 the t8 [ older, original version tube ] or the t5 ? Because the t8 only produces uvb to about 10" max....the t5 would be good for 12-14". But it is troubling that the vet took her off D, how long has that been and why did he say she could naturally produce it ? Animals can't produce it unless they have access to sunshine, a very strong mercury vapor bulb or a supplement. I think she needs D3, and I think you should see if you could find a new vet. I thought that the vet keeping her on many rounds of meds. was already doing damage but this advice of no D3 for a female dragon, especially now that she's producing eggs has likely caused her weakness from inability to assimilate calcium. It would be good to start her on the D3 right away and get her in the sun if you can, just in the grass where it's not too hot. Wishing a good outcome for your girl !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl today?
I agree, if using a tube bulb or the T8 Reptisun 10, D3 is essential at least a couple of times of week.
I am glad to hear you are not using a screen so that she does receive full exposure of the UVB light.
Maybe just give the powder a couple of times per week, in conjunction with the liquid calcium you are giving her also.
How is her appetite doing?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom