Where to buy Silkworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find cheap silkworms and I cannot raise them due to having to match heat requirements for raising eggs.
Where can I find cheap silkworms? I already checked mulberry farms and I was hoping to find something even cheaper. I am looking for large silkworms for my eight year old beardie.
Thanks!

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Have you looked at local pet stores yet? The family ran ones are usually decently priced because they have to beat the chain store prices to get enough business so they can stay in bbusiness Iknow the family run store closest to me only has wax and meal worms though. But thats the only suggestion i can make i dont care for worms much so i dont normally look for them.

Galaxyprinxe

Original Poster
vulcan2016":nrvlbmso said:
Have you looked at local pet stores yet? The family ran ones are usually decently priced because they have to beat the chain store prices to get enough business so they can stay in bbusiness Iknow the family run store closest to me only has wax and meal worms though. But thats the only suggestion i can make i dont care for worms much so i dont normally look for them.

I don't believe we have any family run pet stores near us expect for one, and I've already checked to see if they carry insects. They do not. The petstores near me only carry crickets and superworms to my belief, but I will have to check again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Buying silkworms in small batches from pet shops is an extremely expensive way to buy them (expect to pay $1 for each worm this way). Is much cheaper to buy the worms in bulk from a hobbyist or school (lots of schools raise silkworms as part of the learning experience for the children and often have more worms than they need that they sell to raise funds).

Try looking on Google , Ebay , Etsy , and online classifieds under pets.

A very good (cheaper) option is to buy a few hundred silkworm eggs and raise the worms that hatch on fresh mulberry leaves (if you can get these and they aren't sprayed with pesticides) or on silkworm chow.

Will take a couple of months for the worms to be getting up around 2 inches long and so a good size to give to your old beardie.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I get mine from lindasgonebuggie in Florida. They arrive in good shape and last a while. They aren't the cheapest feeders but that's par for the course considering the effort it takes to raise them. They are an excellent worm to offer a dragon and I try to keep them in rotation as a regular part of the diet while they are in season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom