Veggies dry up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may sound like an entirely stupid question, but-

I have a ~2-3mo bearded dragon who I'm trying to introduce greens too (for the life of me he wont touch them) and I leave him a little feeding dish with them in it but they dry up so fast! I even spritz them but then I go back and they're either completely shrivled or just about. I try to put them as far from the lamp as possible. He completely ignores them, though. I think this is normal for his age from what I've been reading. What mixes do you guys use for the little guys? I've offered collard and mustard greens. Even fruits he wont touch.

Also, meal worms- I know he isn't supposed to eat them for the risk of becoming impacted but he seems to completely ignore grubs. I offer him silk worms, he eats about one or two then turns his nose up at them :? I try not to give him too many of the meal worms but he dives right for them. I've been interested in trying phoenix worms but I figure if he doesn't care of the silk worms, he'll probably feel the same about the phoenix.

I guess I should just stick to crickets then? Do any of you keep your own crickets for your little beardies?

Thanks all!

53ACBE8B-E9E0-4A3A-9023-A1B129D6C160_zps1d6p1jth.jpg~original

ruben0311

Juvie Member
i use to try and keep crickets but they proved too much of a hassle... not the same with everyone but just my experience... i now keep dubia roaches and almost never have to do heavy maintenance. plus they eat lots of veggies and stuff so you can gut load them with that and get those nutients over to your little buddy. keep at it though, Fred has gotten so use to eating plants while outside that he will almost never eat them inside his cage. not good since he definitely needs more greens in his life

ruben0311

Juvie Member
as far as the veggies drying up its just something that happens. spray with a bit of water and keep doing what you are doing, remember that if they are dry from the start, straight from the store, they wont last long anyway. If he goes nuts for worms then put those into the salad and make him work for em. you'll usually be able to get him to eat a few greens by accident that way.

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
ruben0311":32zn8rxs said:
i use to try and keep crickets but they proved too much of a hassle... not the same with everyone but just my experience... i now keep dubia roaches and almost never have to do heavy maintenance. plus they eat lots of veggies and stuff so you can gut load them with that and get those nutients over to your little buddy. keep at it though, Fred has gotten so use to eating plants while outside that he will almost never eat them inside his cage. not good since he definitely needs more greens in his life
Haha I've read that about the roaches but I don't have the stomach for it. I hate roaches D: it bought a un. Going to give the crickets a try... We'll see how it goes! Hope I can make it work cause BOY does he eat.

I'll just keep at it, then with the veggies! Maybe someday lol. So at this age they're ok on a primarily protein diet?

ruben0311

Juvie Member
yes, animal protein is key at early age to increase overall mass and for good brain development. as far as veggies go you can usually just guy load the feeder insects with the veggies but definitely still try and trick him into eating some greens. I would always snatch up some dandelions when able to, especially the flowers, he would go bonkers for those. just gotta keep at it and he'll eventually start liking them... just remember, when you were a kid im sure you liked a cheese burger over a salad any day of the week!

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
ruben0311":35ofypv3 said:
yes, animal protein is key at early age to increase overall mass and for good brain development. as far as veggies go you can usually just guy load the feeder insects with the veggies but definitely still try and trick him into eating some greens. I would always snatch up some dandelions when able to, especially the flowers, he would go bonkers for those. just gotta keep at it and he'll eventually start liking them... just remember, when you were a kid im sure you liked a cheese burger over a salad any day of the week!

True that! Have a year and a half old son who's staple diet is chips and fries. He's doin alright. Lol

You can give them wild flowers?

ruben0311

Juvie Member
yeah as long as you are confident in their cleanliness... dont wanna give them any that are sprayed with insecticides or anything. I've tried other types of wild flowers but he only really goes nuts for dandelions... if you can eat them they are ok for the beardie too...

SabineMaxine

Original Poster
ruben0311":2iwtszy4 said:
yeah as long as you are confident in their cleanliness... dont wanna give them any that are sprayed with insecticides or anything. I've tried other types of wild flowers but he only really goes nuts for dandelions... if you can eat them they are ok for the beardie too...
Oh nice! Maybe I could grow them!
Thank you for your help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You can refresh the salad by misting it lightly and turning it over in the feeder bowl.

Dandelion greens and flowers are great "greens"
Nasturtium leaves and flowers are great "greens"
rose pettles are good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom