Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now before anyone gets upset or anything about what I am about to talk about, I have done nermous amounts of research before deciding to incubate and hatch my clutch of eggs, but by some of the other forums I have seen some people here seem to have very in depth knowledge about beardies and I just wanted to get some more advice from other sources about the care of hatchlings.

I have the babies in a few enclosures with damp paper towel as substrate and the proper heat and uvb lighting. I feed them two or three times a day with 1/4 pinhead crickets and I take very good care and caution with the babies as I feel like they are my children. Any that I do sell will not be sold until they are 6-8 weeks old. One of my questions that I do have is before I do sell any of them is there any special medication or anything I am supposed to give them or should I just take them to a vet before I start selling any of them. I would appreciate any extra advice or tips you can give me, as one day I do want to become a full blown breeder.

Thanks so much for any help!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...it's nice that you are being conscientious with your babies . No special action needs to be taken, if they look + seem healthy [ eating well, not lethargic ] most breeders will sell them as soon as they're old/big enough, about 6" long.

assualtangel

Original Poster
Is there anything I can do for babies who won't eat, there are two of them that just don't seem to eat or have any interest in eating. I have moved them to a different enclosure and allow them time in the feeding bin by themselves to eat but they just are not eating. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
How are they? And when did they hatch, I had a baby wait a week before he ate. I also tried BSFL (Phoenix worms) as another daily staple and it stimulated latecomers to eat anything (even greens!)

assualtangel

Original Poster
Tigresssnow":27b2hzcw said:
How are they? And when did they hatch, I had a baby wait a week before he ate. I also tried BSFL (Phoenix worms) as another daily staple and it stimulated latecomers to eat anything (even greens!)

They are doing okay. There are about 3 that don't eat. They hatched about three weeks ago and I have offered greens but they don't seem interested in that either but I will try the worms. Crossing my fingers for them. I really don't want to lose any

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
When you feed them do you leave the crix in and wander away? It seems they must be eating when you're not looking as 3 weeks seems too long to not eat and still thrive. Are they growing like the rest? And are you able to post a photo comparing a non eater to one that eats? :)

assualtangel

Original Poster
Tigresssnow":3buwjp2r said:
When you feed them do you leave the crix in and wander away? It seems they must be eating when you're not looking as 3 weeks seems too long to not eat and still thrive. Are they growing like the rest? And are you able to post a photo comparing a non eater to one that eats? :)

They are smaller than the others and I will post a photo later when I get home again

assualtangel

Original Poster
Tigresssnow":958oyqeb said:
Ok awesome. Were they late hatchers? Sorry for all the questions. :)

I am pretty sure two out of the 4 was and no problem you are trying to help and I will answer any questions you have for me ?

assualtangel

Original Poster
Tigresssnow":dgvq0j7y said:
How many are in each bin, and what size bin are you using? :)

There are 4 in the 1 tank and the rest are in a tank together so 15 in one but the 15 are all eating. When I feed I feed 4 at a time from the larger tank and the 4 that are not eating I feed each sperately. I am not aurw how to send a picture.

assualtangel

Original Poster
Tigresssnow":26q4b90e said:
Sorry my cut and paste cut off a letter, the link is http://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads

Hey thank you for the help they are all eating now but now I have a different issue. One of thwm decided to get aggressive in a 20gal tank with only 4 babies in there and bite one of the other babies very hard and we think it's leg may be broken and ot was bleeding. What can I do or is there anything I can do to protect the baby and nurse it back to health

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Can you post a photo of the leg? It's unfortunately common for nips no matter what. Best is to separate the aggressive one into it's own separate enclosure (a plastic storage bin will work wonders for this and be inexpensive) for the rest of it's life as I don't believe aggressiveness reverses with time. How old is the baby that was bitten, and how is he acting? Does he favour the leg and limp or not move around at all? If he stops eating due to trauma you may need to buy carnivore care by oxbow (10 bucks off amazon) to keep it healthy while the leg heals. Pick up some unpasteurized honey (it's a natural antibacterial agent when unpasteurized) and apply it twice a day I believe it is. You won't want to leave crix unattended as they will be attracted to the honey and will add to the damage. Try to rinse the blood and debris off the leg with a soak in water and keep an eye out for discomfort. I'm trying to think of what else helps. If the other babies seem interested I the honey you may have to separate the baby in question as well. Please let me know and try to post a photo. If it is indeed broken I'm unsure if there's any at home remedy for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom