Worried about a newborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
The little latecomer had almost the full yolk sac (well, more then I've ever seen) attached and despite my efforts to keep it hydrated (moist paper towels, it's own container with heat etc) this morning I saw it dried up. With the other two hatchlings that had a little left once it dried up if I were to have touched it it flaked right off. I touched this little ones and he freaked out and ripped it off. I'm now very worried he's hurt and going to get sick or pass away and I feel terrible. I can include a photo of his belly now but I didn't get a photo of the yolk sac before it came off and it is in the garbage (yucky stuff)
Thank you for any insight.
A worried momma :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What size was the yolk sac ? Like a small pea, or larger ? Try to be specific. If it came off easily, it was ready to fall off....the baby may be a slow grower at first but hopefully will not be affected too much in the long run.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dorry, it was about the size of a full kernel if corn, so slightly bigger then a pea. It's just that the baby freaked out so bad, I worry it was hurt. Thank you for your response, it's not as thin as one of the babies that absorbed all the sac but was born little so I'm not so much worried about development.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not too bad. If he was startled when you touched him, that's perfectly normal...babies are very skittish, it doesn't mean that you hurt him. If it fell off on it's own then it was time.

So this was one of the late hatches ? He'll probably need to be set up on is own because he'll be lagging behind, but if he gets active + eating quickly he might be put in a bin with the smallest ones.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is around the same size as them all currently, they all weren't find on eating crix for me but I just got BSFL and they went nuts and ate at all three feedings. He's a 100% plain old leatherback, no hypo showing just het, you forget how gorgeous normals are until you get one! If I notice any different behaviour or picking on I will seperate for sure, I keep a close eye going in once an hour to mist or feed or just socialize with the tiny nuggets. If I post a photo of the remaining egg could you tell me if it is still good? It has gone discoloured. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The lighting makes the entire pic look yellow so I can't tell just from that. Is there enough moisture ? At any rate, give it a chance, until it really collapses + possibly gets moldy or slimy just wait it out.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The egg isn't actually yellow it's all the browning spots and stripes. I planned on waiting it out (I just did so for a leopard gecko egg, Waited 3 weeks before I noticed it was collapsed but where I couldn't see) because I'd feel awful if it had a chance.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's probably dead but never throw it out until it shows for sure.....no need to rush, wait it out.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm only curious and kinda sad is all. We lost an egg halfway through, the smallest of them all was developing and swelling but died partially formed. I may add some more moisture to see if that helps it along. I believe the perlite may be getting a little dry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it's a bummer when they don't hatch....happens once in a while. :( Maybe more water will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom