Light patches on beardie, not shedding patches!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie, Tony recently fell off the couch. He landed oddly on his head/neck. He acted fine afterwards so I dismissed it. But now he is moderately dark with a light patch on his spine, one side of his neck. The 'V' bone on his head (only on the same side of his lightness on his neck), and one small patch on his arm. This doesn't look like the white of shedding, it's orange. He sometimes turns this color. The light spot on his neck seems puffy, though I may be wrong.
He doesn't seem to mind being touched on those spots.

Right now he is sitting on his hammock on the cool side, his mouth open like he is basking occasionally.

I revamped his tank today and took out his old calcisand and put in a repticarpet, I got him a new heat lamp, a hammock, and I put a stuffed animal in his tank. I also moved stuff around a bit.

He is very much so in need for a reptisun 10, though the petstore did not carry them and had no options that would fit his light fixture.

Today I fed him:
Carrots, clover, dandelion, apple, raspberry and two superworms with calcium. (How often should I give calcium?)

His tail is shedding and I gave him a bath today, could these be parts that are prepping to shed by turning light orange?

He also has some sand in his eye, how do I help him with getting the sand out?

I'll upload images once I figure out how to on my phone

Galaxyprinxe

Original Poster
87820-4013965787.jpg
87820-7409647521.jpg
I don't know why that one came out upside down..
I forgot to mention that he is eight years old and I got him a full year ago next month.

Yes I know his basking lamp is very low, the energy saving lamp and bulb I got isn't as hot as I hoped it would be.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what type of bulb, and wattage is the basking bulb and how are you reading the temp. ? It may be a slight burn since the bulb is so close.

His diet sounds good, you might offer other feeder insects and dusting them every 3 days is fine for an adult. You can get plain saline solution [ not for contact lenses ] to rinse his eye.

Galaxyprinxe

Original Poster
AHBD":op1aap98 said:
Hi there, what type of bulb, and wattage is the basking bulb and how are you reading the temp. ? It may be a slight burn since the bulb is so close.

His diet sounds good, you might offer other feeder insects and dusting them every 3 days is fine for an adult. You can get plain saline solution [ not for contact lenses ] to rinse his eye.

I got the bulb today and he hasn't been basking much so I don't believe he is burnt. When I place my hand under it is hot but doesn't feel hot enough to burn me. The rock is pretty hot though. (It's a plug in heat rock, though I don't plug it in due to reading about it burning beardies, his pervious owner gave it to me). It's too high for him to touch it directly. He couldn't possibly be burnt from his old heat lamp since he has been without for almost a week (heating pad being used in the meantime, also my room has been hitting 90+ degrees on hot hot days)

He is moderately active, though he is in his tank and doesn't move a lot when he is in his tank. (He's spoiled and I keep him outside on hot days for most of the day)

The patches seem as if they are darkening slightly?

I moved the light up higher just incase.

Galaxyprinxe

Original Poster
AHBD":3p4bh8j2 said:

I forgot to mention the wattage and brand. It's a energy saving zilla light&heat Halogen mini dome for 25&50 watts. The bulb is tiny and special for the light, I got a 50 watt red 'night' light but found it to not be hot enough. I scraped off the red film and it now works as a much hotter white light. The bulb is a zilla energy saving mini halogen blub 'night red'' 50 watts. Images of packaging below:
87820-330366241.jpg
87820-3517343677.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure what it could be other than just an odd shed pattern. So the red film peels off and leaves a white light ? How strange.....anyway, I guess a 50 watt is all you need if it's 90 degrees in the room. Hopefully it cools down at night, that would be too much eat if it stayed that way even at night.

Galaxyprinxe

Original Poster
AHBD":1884gl8x said:
I'm not sure what it could be other than just an odd shed pattern. So the red film peels off and leaves a white light ? How strange.....anyway, I guess a 50 watt is all you need if it's 90 degrees in the room. Hopefully it cools down at night, that would be too much eat if it stayed that way even at night.

I'll watch him for a few days, he's already shed this year but I hear that it is not uncommon for two sheds (I don't remember his tail shedding when he shed his back and head). It's a cool day right now so it's nice and warm, not hot. If he gets any worse I'll mention it on here. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom