Refusing to eat, looks sleepy, lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I feel like banging my head against a wall... :banghead:

My Gonzo - who is my 'healthy' rescue - is a HUGE eater...or was. I've checked his temps, they are great (90 and above regularly). I have a 10.0 reptisun bulb. The tank is a 75 gallon. He has a tree and hammock to climb closer to the heat. Today he stayed on top of his hide and has not moved. The substrate is reptile carpet. No sitting water in the tank, fresh greens and fruit/veggies offered daily. There is still a hornworm crawling in the tank - since yesterday...he LOVES hornworms. He's not impacted (had a great poop with lots of urate yesterday). His tail and limbs look like they have dulled and are ready to shed, but even when he shed the other areas of his body in the last month it never stopped him from eating. I normally feed both dragons a mix of crickets, silks, hornworms, and supers. They won't even look at BSFL, or any other type of larvae (I've tried).

I'm trying not to panic. I've had my Evee to the vet so much since I adopted them, as well as my dogs and cats, that I'm broke. I'm going to email the vet and see what she thinks (she is great for providing advice without having to go in and has her own beardie), but I am really hoping to not have to take him in. I bathed him last night - and syringed water into his mouth and some supplement mix I made (caloric supplement with sweet potato, calcium, multivitamin, and a bit of apple sauce - I make it for Evee mostly). He was NOT happy with me, but I'm so worried that he will get sick, especially with what I have had to deal with for Evee.

Should I chill out and just wait for him to come around? Is it just him shedding? He had a great bath out on the deck on Saturday - nice warm sun, dish just deep enough for him to chill in. He didn't move from it until I made him (he pooped).

Gwen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few pics of him as well as his tank ? Adult dragons will go off food out of the blue because they don't need as much to sustain them. He also might be sluggish today because he didn't like the syringe feeding session and is pouting, or may be feeling full from it.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Sorry - would have replied sooner, but I just got a new phone and it seems slower for pictures :/

Looking half asleep (and has all day).
87171-8360578376.jpg

The set up (yes, I need to clean the carpet and that smudge on the glass below is my toddler's hand print LOL). Humidity is between 30 an 40 today, yesterday it was around 50, ugh.
87171-2784642130.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good and healthy, he's probably just full and feeling lazy. :) In captivity they don't have to hunt for food so no need to eat every day or expend energy unless they're motivated for some reason. I don't think there's anything wrong. You might look int a Reptisun 10.0 tube, it provides more uvb output .

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
oh it is a Reptisun 10.0 lol - just hard to see as the metal mesh lid (to keep my cats out!) is in the way :) It hangs inside the enclosure.

*whew* I thought he looked good too, but I've had so many issues with my girl Evee that I was starting to panic...we're also leaving for 6 days on Sunday and Gonzo is staying home (my brother is going to tend to him for me) but I'm bringing Evee. I think I'm having guilt over leaving him behind and we haven't even left! :roll: I need to chill...gah.

Thanks AHBD!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So I just gave him a soak...and he drank and drank and drank. I spray him every day but he was thirsty. Then he gobbled the hornworm in his tank. He still looks grumpy as heck, but I think I jumped the gun...I need to relax with him and not stress his not gobbling everything in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom