New Owner, Some worries and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my bearded dragon a few days ago, and I'm worried about her. I made a separate forum post about my enclosure so you can see all those details here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=226031

She isn't eating or going after her crickets. We only put a few in her cage but she doesn't even look at them and we had to scoop them out later. All shes eaten are a few mealworms and nibbled on a pepper from her salad. (I know she shouldn't eat mealworms, I learnt that later on sadly and she will not eat them again! We had some on-hand and wanted to see if she'll eat SOMETHING!)

I was considering switching to Phoenix Worms considering the aforementioned worm eating, and I was wondering a few things:
1. Should they still be dusted with a multivitamin once a week, even though they don't need to be calcium dusted?
2. Can she switch back to crickets once she settles in as an adult and doesnt have a problem chasing them / is less scared from rehoming, or is starting her young on phoenix worms going to make her only want phoenix worms.
3. What's a range of how many phoenix worms a baby beardie would eat in a feeding? I'm going to give her as many as she needs for 15 minutes, but I need to know for ordering/planning, is the range of critters eaten by a baby in a feeding in the 4-10 range, the 10-40 range, or the 40-100 range, since that drastically changes how many we have to order.
4. If we don't need to dust the phoenix worms, should we dust her veggies with calcium/multivitamins?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
snakepeople":2caf7boj said:
I just got my bearded dragon a few days ago, and I'm worried about her. I made a separate forum post about my enclosure so you can see all those details here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=226031

She isn't eating or going after her crickets. We only put a few in her cage but she doesn't even look at them and we had to scoop them out later. All shes eaten are a few mealworms and nibbled on a pepper from her salad.

<<<< if you only just brought her home this may just be relocation stress and this can last a few days to a week, keep on offering the live crickets , other good feeders are roaches, silkworms , phoenix (calci) worms.

(I know she shouldn't eat mealworms, I learnt that later on sadly and she will not eat them again! We had some on-hand and wanted to see if she'll eat SOMETHING!) <<< mealworms are a last resort as a live feeder for young dragons, best reserved for use as occasional bribes/treats.

I was considering switching to Phoenix Worms considering the aforementioned worm eating, and I was wondering a few things:
1. Should they still be dusted with a multivitamin once a week, even though they don't need to be calcium dusted? <<<< phoenix worms will not require dusting , but can be dusted with reptile vitamin powder to boost the nutrition.
2. Can she switch back to crickets once she settles in as an adult and doesnt have a problem chasing them / is less scared from rehoming, or is starting her young on phoenix worms going to make her only want phoenix worms. <<<< yes .... best tack is to offer a two or three quality feeder insect species as the staples , give variety and keeps things interesting for the little dragon.
3. What's a range of how many phoenix worms a baby beardie would eat in a feeding? I'm going to give her as many as she needs for 15 minutes, but I need to know for ordering/planning, is the range of critters eaten by a baby in a feeding in the 4-10 range, the 10-40 range, or the 40-100 range, since that drastically changes how many we have to order. <<<< how old is the dragon, the number of feeds per day , and number of insects per day and each feed are dependent on
--- it's size (mass) and distance between it's eyes
---the size of the insects
Can't get phoenix worms here (Australia , commercially breed ones are impossible to find) , so can't really suggest how many your beardie will need per meal.

4. If we don't need to dust the phoenix worms, should we dust her veggies with calcium/multivitamins? <<< no need to dust the vegs if giving phoenix worms as staple live insect. You can but , it wont really hurt. (Note that lizards often detest the taste of the reptile vitamins , but love the taste of calcium dust on their food , some will literally lick the bowl clean.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom