To get a Baby or adult?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaR

OK. I'm newbie when it comes to bearded dragons and what to know if I should consider getting an adult. I know that they is a lot that goes in to raising a baby and I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort but I also know that they are fragile than an adult. So I'm looking for some advice on this.
Thanks,
Amanda

Hi fellow newbie xD. I will be getting my first reptile/beardie next week!!! I am getting an baby around 3 or 4 months mainly because those are the only beardies availible around here...but I am super stoked!!! I have done my research and everything.
I think it would be a good idea to get a younger beardie to raise him/her and have an extra special bond.
:D

Sylphie

I'm a newbie to beardies too (not to reptiles so much, we're having more than 20 snakes), and from what I already can see on my example:

At first we bought a 2 months old female, and in my opinion it's a perfect age for someone without experience. They are still young so you can "teach" them everything, but they aren't as fragile and jumpy as totally little ones.

My second was a 2 months old male, so basically the same.

And my third is a 1 month old hatchling. She's super cute, but a lot harder to bond and tame, mostly couse hatchlings are very afraid of everything, super jumpy and really fragile. With some experience from our bigger beardies I can manage her somehow, but without it I would be totally lost as to how to pick her up without hurting her etc.

So, if you want a "baby" that will already be more confident and not as fragile I really recommend you look for 2-3 months old beardies :)

Leanne2001

Hi, i would defiently get a baby bearded dragon. I got a 3 month old beardie a few months ago and he was already tame in a few weeks. Also you get to watch them grow and shed often which is pretty cool! ?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Babies are going to take more time and attention. They'll need more feedings and mainly protein to start.

Mature beardies will need more veggies and less protein and not as many feedings. They are going to most likely be more used to being handled as well.

As a beginner you might want to start with a more mature beardie and graduate to a baby after. That being said any animal you adopt or rescue could have issues you don't know about, regardless of the age. Make sure you have the proper setup and have researched for a local reptile vet.

My 2 cents.

AmandaR

Original Poster
I will be getting an 1 1/2 year old dragon. The fact that he comes with a complete set up is just the icing on the cake for me.thanks for everyone's advice.
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom