New baby lethargic after UVB change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylark

Hello, I'm a new, first time owner of a beardie. I purchased little Salamence (6 w/o according to breeder) three days ago at a LLLReptiles near me, and everything was going great until I replaced its UVB bulb yesterday. This morning, I noticed it took longer than usual for it to get up and about Normally 30-60 mins after the lights come on, it walks around and I feed it 2-5 small crickets drenched in Calcium powder with 0% D3.

I am so incredibly concerned that I might have done something to disturb its well-being as its behavior has completely changed. 'Mence has eaten two crickets today, usually 15-20 would have already been consumed by now. Its eyes are swollen and have been closed for most of the day. There's been a lack of bowel movements since the light replacement; abdomen is bigger than usual. What's also worrisome is the fact that it hasn't moved much, 6 hours have been spent on his basking area in a weird lethargic state. I should mention that he's been excessively skittish, even a look in its direction will put it in the "alert" stance. Also, no change in color/dullness.

I've been reading forums on this site all day long looking for answers. Please help me, I feel so guilty for any harm I might have caused it.

The habitat is a 20 gallon long with eco-carpet. 90-100 in the basking corner, 70-80 in the cool side (temps according to a digital thermometer). The enclosure came with a dual-dome and corresponding 60W basking light, as well as a Reptisun 5.0 UVB compact bulb. However, last night I purchased an Exo Terra Reptile UVB 150, as recommended by a clerk at Petco. After the research done today, I now know what a big mistake I have made due to my ignorance. Soon after the replacement, the symptoms mentioned above began to present themselves, though not as critical as today.

Again, please help + advice me on a solution. The UVB bulb has been off for a few hours and I'm weighing my options. Currently looking at a Reptisun 10.0 with a corresponding fixture (over the screen) but I don't want to make any deciscions until I have been properly adviced by this community. I really hope there's an easy solution, I'm very stressed (though maybe not as much as my beardie) at the moment, and very confused... Things were going great, he was just beginning to eat out of my hands.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Yes that uvb light irritated his eyes. Id keep that uvb off until you get the new one. He can go a week or 2 without uvb. However if it's nice where you are then he can go outside for some natural rays. He could sit on your lap. Also just lightly dust his feeders.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, the compact/coil light has definitely irritated his eyes. It happens so often, it is unfortunate.
At least you caught it early though before too much damage was done. Just keep the UVB light off for now & just use the basking light until you can get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb over him.
How is he doing this evening?

Tracie

Xylark

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses. He seems to be doing better, getting around a little more and his eyes are opened for longer periods of time. He also chased some crickets around but I'm unsure if they were eaten.

As I was typing this, I saw him defecating (first time in two days) and it doesn't look any similar to previous bowel movements. This one has a lot of clear water/mucus(?) mixed it, instead of it being solid; it's still the same brown color however. Should I be concerned? What to do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear he seems to be doing better now! :D
Hopefully he did eat some crickets, too.
He may have had an increase of stress due to the lighting issues so his worm/parasite levels could be elevated some. I would give him a bit of time for the stool to clear up, but, for some reason if they don't I would get a fecal done on him.
Did you get a new light ordered also for him?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom