Frankie's Cross Canada Journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My name is Lynne and I am a Canadian writer and Mother Of Dragon! I love saying that.
So to tell you a quick version of my CRAZY life this past few months. I live in Ontario but have decided to move to BC. I have 1 bearded dragon named Frankie. BUT I also have a pug named Floyd and my son's Old English Bulldog named Zaba. (which means frog in Polish) Some don't believe me but Frankie LOVES the dogs. I have to fight to keep him from climbing Zaba's crate! We are a close family.

I just assumed that considering the many animals that airlines allow to fly, it wouldn't be a problem for Frankie. I have small dog carrier which would be perfect and he couldn't get out. Well... WRONG!!!! Not gonna happen. It's over 4,000 km to Vancouver and it looks like I'll be riving now.

It was never a question whether or not Frankie was coming with us. Although I did get a few "why don't you give him away" smart ass comments. Although he's 8 I've only had him for under 2 years. I love him now! He's changed so much since we met. I'm still learning about him.

I'm worried about the trip. I wonder if the movement in the truck will upset him, the difference in water based on location, the passing objects outside the car, his temperature! Oh... Frankie never had proper lighting until I got him. I honestly think he has adjusted to it and doesn't stay under the hottest point in his tank. If I have the 2 heat lights on he doesn't go under. Anyone ever heard of this? I would LOVE any input from those who have traveled with a beardie before.
It's a long drive and WITH 2 dogs too! I will be blogging about the journey and would really love for you all to read and follow us across Canada. http://pokerchick.ca/ Be sure to register to get updates and I'll be sure to update through here too.

What tips do you all have for me? I'm nervous! But I think he'll be okay. He loves to lay on my chest and watch Game OF Thrones so maybe this will help if he gets nervous.

Thanks everyone!! LOVE this group.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like quite an adventure for Frankie! :D No problem at all, he will have a blast, as long as he is with you. Sure, you can get some of those hot hands packs to help keep him warm for awhile while traveling. You can get an inverter for the car to use to plug in a heating pad also.
To post pictures, you can click on the XIMG, here on your post area it is pretty easy to upload those photos.
I am happy to hear that you are taking him with you. I am sure that he is so sweet.

Tracie

Pokerchick

Original Poster
Drache613":9mjlf4o4 said:
Hello,

It sounds like quite an adventure for Frankie! :D No problem at all, he will have a blast, as long as he is with you. Sure, you can get some of those hot hands packs to help keep him warm for awhile while traveling. You can get an inverter for the car to use to plug in a heating pad also.
To post pictures, you can click on the XIMG, here on your post area it is pretty easy to upload those photos.
I am happy to hear that you are taking him with you. I am sure that he is so sweet.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,
Thanks for the encouraging words! I actually bought a dozen of those rubber heat pads that you click the metal disc inside and the liquid gets hot and hard. Wow that sounds dirty! They'e way to hot to actually touch him but I thought lining a baby blanket so it shields him would work. I just have to boil them each day to reset them. I do have the power invertor and I'm getting a 100watt ceramic heating element to use. I hope plugging in the lamp wont draw too much power. I wonder if they're any type of USB input for heat sources... hmmmm.
The camping worries me but if it's a cool night He can stay in the truck and not the tent.

Nervous... but feeling bit more confident he will be fine!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had good experiences with road trips. My guys generally seem to enjoy riding in the car. Just spend a little extra time at rest stops so he can sit in the grass and get some natural sunlight for half an hour or so and he will be fine. You can plug a light in if you stop overnight but I wouldn't bother in the car. It's likely he'll be asleep a lot of the time when you stop anyway. I use a soccer bag with a couple of towels at the bottom and a small fleece blanket. The pockets have cleaner and wipes and hand warmers but I only ever use the hand warmers in the winter if I stop for dinner. They go under the towel so they never come in contact. Dragons are pretty tough so I wouldn't worry too much. He'll probably really enjoy the adventure. You can upload your photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then you'll be able to access them using the XIMG button as Tracie mentioned.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
What route are you taking to BC? Along the transcanada through Calgary? or an alternate route?

I'm in Edmonton, and I travel all over the province and have relatives in BC. If you need camping advice or other advise for Western Canada let me know.

Pokerchick

Original Poster
Frankie has died. It was the most horrific thing I'e ever experienced. There's so much I need to explain but I can't talk about it yet. I am devastated and convinced that the ExoTerra sand mats caused my dragon's terrible death. Thank you everyone for all your advice, help and friendship during the past 2 years I've had with my Frankie. I will explain more when I can see through the tears long enough to write it all out. REST IN PEACE FRANKIE!!!! I love you always. :cry:

Pokerchick

Original Poster
CooperDragon":l3dz8c99 said:
I've had good experiences with road trips. My guys generally seem to enjoy riding in the car. Just spend a little extra time at rest stops so he can sit in the grass and get some natural sunlight for half an hour or so and he will be fine. You can plug a light in if you stop overnight but I wouldn't bother in the car. It's likely he'll be asleep a lot of the time when you stop anyway. I use a soccer bag with a couple of towels at the bottom and a small fleece blanket. The pockets have cleaner and wipes and hand warmers but I only ever use the hand warmers in the winter if I stop for dinner. They go under the towel so they never come in contact. Dragons are pretty tough so I wouldn't worry too much. He'll probably really enjoy the adventure. You can upload your photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then you'll be able to access them using the XIMG button as Tracie mentioned.

Frankie is dead and I am broken!! IT was awful. OMG I will explain more when I can stop crying.
Thank you for your advice. He died 3 days before we were supposed to leave.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this =(. I know you were looking forward to your trip with him so much. I know how difficult it is to lose a dragon, especially when they are suffering. Take some time to clear your mind a bit and if you need to talk or vent please feel free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom