Beardies toe very swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I Rescued this guy from pretty bad conditions a while back. Git him back to good health then I come in to see this

70889-7305368725.jpg

I am unsure what caused it. He is on repticarpet, has a stick to climb on and a few other things, so I was wondering maybe he caught his nail?

Any suggestions? I don't think it's stuck shed.

Any advice would be very helpful

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long have you had him & do you have an approximate age on him?
That looks suspiciously like gout coming on because it tends to start on toes like that. His foot/ankle looks a bit swollen to me also, unless it's just the angle.
Can you post some more overall pictures of him so I can see his entire body condition too?
It's hard when you take them in from previous owners because you don't have any control over his previous care.
What types of foods & supplements are you giving him now?

Tracie

damein1234

Original Poster
I'm not sure on age, I believe over 2 but that's all I can be sure about. I am his 3rd home. Before I got him he was kept on 6+inches of eco earth that had NEVER Been wet down, so it was dry and dusty.
He had very poor lighting and heating, and because of that and plus what he was fed, he does have some malformations, like his lower jaw is significantly longer then his top
70889-4221138014.jpg

He now lives in a 40g, with 10.0 bar lighting. He is fed a diet of crickets and spring mix. Kale and romaine lettuce are a big part of diet, but he had never been fed veggies so he tends to ignore them. I offer them all the same

I use Repashy Super Foods Calcium Plus to dust his bugs with

And I've had him about a month or two. He's a great lizard.
Here's another pic of the foot, but it might be just as unhelpful
70889-289436402.jpg

~~~~~~
Here's an overview of him
70889-1170873135.jpg

damein1234

Original Poster
They're aren't a lot of reptile vets around, and the ones that are here are closed on weekends.
Is there anything I can do until I can make an appointment on monday?
What could have caused it? I have been reading a bit but I'm still unsure. Was this something I did or caused by a previous owner?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh definitely it was not anything that you have done! You haven't had him for very long so that type of damage is done over time so it was his previous care.
I would concur it is most likely visceral gout which involves renal issues & will need treatment for life to help manage his kidneys.
I would recommend trying to find a vet, if possible to have a blood test done for testing his kidney & liver values, along with calcium & protein levels.
For now, I would recommend trying to start some fluid therapy on him, giving 2-4mls of oral fluids daily. You can also go to your local health food store to look for Black cherry extract to give to him daily also, for helping break up uric acid crystals.
What types of foods do you feed him?
Which UVB light are you using currently?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

damein1234

Original Poster
I currently am using the Zoo Med 24" Repti Sun 10.0 Fluorescent Bulb

large

I actually have lots of other reptiles, including 2 other beardies. I find that the bar lights spread the uv better then a compact bulb. I was not a fan of the bulbs.
I also use the ceramic bulbs for heat, because I personally cant stand having lights on at night haha. so I cant handle all of those red lights. I prefer the ceramic, even though they are a bit pricier

I feed a handful of different foods, but the main staple that they always have is this
cbs-spring-mix-230x300.jpg

there is usually carrots mixed in with it, sometimes kale and other leafy greens.
I also grow lots of plants, like raspberries and black berries, peaches, pears and so on, so when harvest time comes, they all get bites of that as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good, the spring mix looks fine to me. For gout or gout conditions, I recommend more of the baby leaves like that, instead of the higher oxalate greens like the mustards & collards.
I am glad you are using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb instead of the compact light. They have much better UVB emissions than the compacts without any of the hazardous UVC frequency.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom