Baby beardie is listless and won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbudelier

I'm worried about my new baby Lilo. I bought him on June 29, and he seemed alert and active for the first few days, but has declined in the past week or so. He is 8" long and weighed 11 grams when he came home. He is now down to 9 grams.
He is in a 40 gal breeder tank, Reptisun UVB light a little more than 8" above his basking spot, a daylight fluorescent light and his basking light. His basking spot runs between 110-115 degrees, and he has plenty of room to move if he gets too warm.
All he has been doing lately is laying on his basking spot with his eyes closed. He may go after 1 cricket, but doesn't actively chase any down. I've tried baby food, but he won't eat that either, even if I put some on his nose.
I was thinking he might have gotten impacted somehow, so I've given him a couple of good soaks, and he'll perk up a bit afterwards, but not for very long. He is passing urates, but no real poop because he hasn't eaten much of anything.
Any thoughts as to what I can do to help the poor little guy?
Thank you!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking the temps? What kind of Uvb? Is it a coil/compact or a long tube? Does he have a bright white basking light?

cbudelier

Original Poster
Hi Destiny,

The UVB is a 24" tube, and his basking light is a 75 watt high intensity basking bulb. I'm using a ZooMed probe thermometer laid directly on his basking spot. I also used a couple of other thermometers to double check the temperature, and they all came out about the same.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. I'd lower his basking spot temps. No need to go above 110. That and give him some water via syringe. He probably is a little too hot and might be getting dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom