Superworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinnKaine

Hatchling Member
Hi I was wondering when I could start feeding my beardie superworms? He currently eats crickets, and he is just flying through them. He's gone through almost 500 in just 4 days. I just placed another order for 1,000 from flukersfarms.

I would think the superworms would last longer because they are bigger and he wouldn't eat as many. Or is this not true?

Also is flukersfarm the best place (price/quality) to buy my feeders?

Thanks in advance!

Btw my beardie is about 9" nose to tail at the moment.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
most will say that supers are probably not gonna be good at that size, unless you are breeding them yourself and have access to smaller sized supers, but that kinda defeats the purpose of getting "super"worms anyhoo. how big are the crickets you are providing?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez, hungry little guy! It's usually not recommended to offer supers to dragons who are under 16'' because of their size which may make them difficult to digest. I'd stick with tons of crickets for now and mix in some different soft worms as well. Silk worms, phoenix worms, and small hornworms would probably be good choices. Flukers is a pretty well known place to get crickets along with Armstrong and Georgia/Premium crickets. Hang in there, his appetite will decline as his growth slows but you'll have to keep up with insane amounts of bugs for a little while longer.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Food should be no bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes.
Superworms should only be fed to beardies that are 16" in length or more, I believe.
Ninja'd by Cooper. :(

ruben0311

Juvie Member
you should be fine with feeding the larger sized cricket, at your discretion of course, but as long as they aren't overly large you should be fine. I find the "space between the eyes" rule is good but has wiggle room seeing as when it is chewed up it gets crunched up good anyway. I give full adults to Fred, he's only 13 inches, and he tears them up good so im not worried about size on my end.

AustinnKaine

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What about hissing roaches? I don't know if i will ever be able to handle those disgusting things though lol.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
From what I could gather, you can't feed adult hissing roaches to any size beardie and they can climb almost any surface, making it easy for them to escape. I think red runner roaches or dubia roaches would work better for feeding if you are looking at roaches. Dubias look more like rollie pollies, so they are easier to deal with. Red runners are manageable, but they are invasive if they get lose and may cause a pest problem if they escape.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
try a small batch of 1/2" crickets, my Peppa and Toothless were taking "small Piscus brand" crickets about that size from 5 weeks old.

He's way too young for superworms. Same issues as mealwoms for small superworms. Calcigents or small 1"-1.5" long silkworms are an excellent feeder , each worm is equiv to maybe 4 "small" crickets by mass.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
If I have missed this in reading through the posts, please excuse me.

Superworms are too fatty to be used as a staple feeder and are more suited as treats. The same applies for Waxworms and butterworms.

Please note that butterworms are listed as being an excellent feeder on the net, but further research reveals faulty nutritional analysis that just keeps getting posted and reposted by distributors.

Too much fat in the diet can damage the liver and result in a shorter lifespan.

I know I'm chiming in way late here, but I second the Premium crickets/ Georgia crickets reference! They are the cheapest place I have found by far! And their customer service is great! I'm in NC, so I go through Georgia crickets because I can get them in 1 day. I ordered 1000 crickets with 1-2 day delivery and added vermiculite substrate (for the smell) and the crickets still came out to about .03 per cricket! Waaaaay better than .10 per cricket (plus tax!) at the pet store.

TakuaNuva

AustinnKaine":1m5eft2v said:
Hi I was wondering when I could start feeding my beardie superworms? He currently eats crickets, and he is just flying through them. He's gone through almost 500 in just 4 days. I just placed another order for 1,000 from flukersfarms.

I would think the superworms would last longer because they are bigger and he wouldn't eat as many. Or is this not true?

Also is flukersfarm the best place (price/quality) to buy my feeders?

Thanks in advance!

Btw my beardie is about 9" nose to tail at the moment.
I recommend rainbowmealworms.com for your feeder needs. I don't really have anything good to say about fluker farms, 3 different orders and all of them wrong and also all orders I received mostly dead crickets. Heck one time some how a spider got into their canister they put the crickets in and killed every single one before it got to my house! With rainbow iv gotten what I ordered either on time or earlier w/a little extra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom