Sick Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssprague21

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply! Yes he's definitely gained weight! He's doing awesome now! He's awake most of the time. He's moving around quite a bit and using his legs & arms now. He's been catching crickets on his own. He's pretty funny with quite the personality! I wasn't sure we would see him like this but he is doing awesome! The light replacement with the correct bulb really seemed to perk him up! We've just been using paper for the bottom of the cage but he's been burrowing under it so what is a good substance to put on the bottom of the tank and a good product for shade? Thank you so much everyone for all of the help! We couldn't have gotten him this far without all of the helpful suggestions!!! So thankful I found this page!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is awesome! :D It sounds like he is really improving now, with improved lighting especially. He should really start to take off on his appetite now also. I am happy to hear he is gaining weight as well.
At least he is chasing crickets on his own now, too.
Paper towel is always good & they can still burrow underneath of it, too & play. Are you wanting a hide/cave for him?

Tracie

ssprague21

Original Poster
He is loving crickets! No issue with eating those but he's never eaten greens before. He's not interested in anything but crickets. Any advice on how to get him to eat some greens?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Getting them to eat their greens is tricky for sure. You can try getting some phoenix worms or other smaller worms such as small silkworms to mix in with the greens to try & make them more enticing for him. You could also get brightly colored bell peppers or pieces of fruit to make the salad more appealing. I should say "sometimes" these methods work. LOL
I am glad that he is enjoying his crickets right now. :D

Tracie

ssprague21

Original Poster
He's been fine the last few days but he lost the tip of his tail a couple of nights ago. Should we be worried about him? I've been reading through posts and I've determined raw honey is a good disinfectant for the area. It doesn't seem to be bleeding at all. He didn't suffer any trauma. He was in the cage and we just noticed the tip came off. Since the tip came off, he's not really eating or as active, which is what we're more concerned about. We just got him eating again on his own. Is this related to the metabolic bone disease?
Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Having tail tip fall off is fairly common, not usually any problem for a dragon since they at times had a bit of trauma and that piece just falls off. It sounds pretty straight forward and you are taking care of it.. Can you post a pic ?

ssprague21

Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update! "Dave" is doing fantastic! He has grown so much since we first got him. He is now eating Bok Choy & crickets! The tip of his tail fell off and he's shedding now but he's doing great! He is a completely different dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom