Bearded dragon ate glass, please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lough040

So my bd, who i am treating for constipation or she might be gravid, just bit the tip off of the glass eyedropper. I was able to get some of the glass out so im not sure what if any she actually ingested but I am freaking out, Im already furious with myself for this. What can I do?? Please help! Our ER vet doesnt see reptiles.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that happened to your dragon, they love to bite the tips of syringes & droppers. It is best to use plastic in the future!
You aren't sure she ingested it because you managed to get some out? So, was it shattered?
Usually they can pass it through with little to no damage done. I would go ahead & start giving soft foods for now, such as canned unsweetened pumpkin (or fresh), or unsweetened apple sauce mixed with sweet potatoes & a drop or two of olive or coconut oil. This should help anything pass through a little more easily.
How is she doing???

Tracie

lough040

Original Poster
Thanks for your response! Yeah I gave her a few plastic syringes of oil/pumpkin and she is having a warm soak. She pooped a little, shes acting totally normal, so hopefully she can pass it fairly easily. Yes , the tip shattered into tiny shards :( i have had her for 8 years and always used plastic but was told to offer her fluids with an eyedropper this time and I stupidly didn't think too far into it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh geez, so it did shatter then. That's too bad. Hopefully with more warm soaks & soft foods she will be able to pass it through relatively easily then. Continue with the soft foods though it should help a lot. I am happy to hear she is acting normal then, maybe it wont bother her at all.
Do you have any plastic droppers on hand instead?

Tracie

lough040

Original Poster
Yup, I always always use plastic, but the vet said to "offer fluids with an eyedropper" and I was trying to do everything exactly as she said to get Marley better so I didn't question it :( :x

lough040

Original Poster
Thank you guys ! She is doing alright - acting normal and fine. I have another thread on here I posted before the whole glass incident about her - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=225906 . She hasn't had a poo in a few days which is normal for her but her last poos were very tiny and she has been passing what appears to be small amounts of urates. She hasn't thrown up since Sunday. When I called the vet Monday she said not to feed her for two days and give her warm soaks and massages and also give her olive oil. After she at the glass I stopped giving her the massags for fear of puncturing something and started giving her syringes of pumpkin mixed with oil. Last night I gave her 2 superworms that she snatched right up - she definitely still has an appetite. I am calling the vet this morning to update her and see if she thinks Marley should be seen or not. I did make her a dig box in case she is gravid, she has been glass surfing and digging around her cage so that was the suggestion of a few people. She was digging last night in her cage so I put her in the dig box and she just stood there and basked in the light I had sitting over it - typical stubborn Marley!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a pic of her dog box ? If you pile the soil up on one side, then start a "cave" by hand they will sometimes continue in that spot. Then again she may just be digging because she's restless, but having the lay box is still good in case she actually is carrying eggs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Marley doing this evening?
If she is carrying eggs but still has an appetite then she isn't quite ready to lay but definitely keep the laybox handy for her.
Has she gone to the bathroom yet either?
I hope she is doing well & keep us posted on her.

Tracie

lough040

Original Poster
Hello!
Marley is still doing well . She definitely has an appetite , I fed her 3 superworms last night and one this morning. I've offered canned pumpkin but she doesnt seem to want it unless I am syringing it to her. Still no poop - have tried so many warm soaks. I'm wondering if maybe she doesn't have anything to poop because I haven't been feeding her a normal amount, or if she is super constipated/slightly impacted...thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She may just not have too much in her....they usually seem more distressed if they're impacted and struggle very hard to poo.

lough040

Original Poster
Good point. The vet returned my call this morning and said to keep on with soaks and offer more food, and if she hasn't pooped by late next week to bring her in. The vet doesn't seem to think anything is terribly wrong with her, and she told me she things the glass she ate (if she ate any) should pass just fine. I am going to keep soaking her and offering her the dig box when I see her digging, and resume feeding like normal and we will see how it goes. I still don't understand what made her throw up last Sunday - but she hasn't done it since and she has been acting totally normal. Strange creature!

lough040

Original Poster
Update!!! She passed a BM, not as large as usual and kind of an odd color/texture , might be the pumpkin. I poked through it and found the glass shard so she passed it safely!! And her bowels are starting to move!! Yayyyyy!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful she finally passed the glass! All of the soft foods definitely helped out for her. :D
It doesn't seem like she is any worse for the wear & hasn't sustained any internal damage thankfully.
I hope she continues to improve & her appetite gets back on track as well!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom