Heat Issues, Could use some input or recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeg1210

Hello all,

I have been having poor heat readings ever since I've gotten a larger tank and I swear I've tried everything! My tank is sitting at 130 gal which I understand is outrageously big for a single beardie, but she loves the space and I couldn't take that away from her now. Of course with bigger tanks, higher wattage of heat is needed. Problem is I got this thing decked out with lights, have tried many different types of bulbs including 150w, ceremic, 75w flood light (these are what the image shows). I am using the Reptisun 10.0 HO T5 bulbs for uvb info. I have tried lowering the 150w bulb lower than the picture and still the readings are in the 85 and under. I am using a reptileone dual probe thermometer/hygrometer to gather my readings on the basking spot. Any suggestions would be sufficient and anyone who has owned a larger tank with advice
lets hear it!
full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a beautiful tank, very spacious! I am sure she does love it! :D
So, 85F or so is all you are able to get the basking spot to? You are measuring directly underneath of where the basking light is?
The Reptisun T5 HO tube bulbs are terrific, so she is definitely getting adequate UVB. What is the distance of the Reptisun bulbs from her? Have you tried using the 150 watt & another lower wattage basking alongside of it, maybe another 25 to 50 watt to try & bump it up? What are the temperatures in the cooler end?
I am sure you have tried a lot of different combinations though.

Tracie

jakeg1210

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the reply,

So I just realized I've been stressing for nothing and shes been sitting at 95-115 the whole time! I had gotten the reptileone thermometer not long ago also and didn't know how to work the in/out feature and realized I was looking at the device's sensor vs the probes temp. The uvb is still too far in my opinion but I am having trouble with ideas of mounting this hood! I feel real silly being worried about the heat now that I know how to work this temp device right hahaa :oops:

ruben0311

Juvie Member
you could reduce the amount of lights present by sealing some of the top or mounting a CHE within the tank. The CHEs will give the warmth for the rest of the tank and you can use a regular flouresent light to give it some good brightness throughout. it its a concern of course, otherwise looks like you got it set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom